Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping--seeing a decrease

Default Pumping--seeing a decrease

I have an 8-month old baby boy, doing fine with weight & nursing, and I work full time. I've been pumping at work 2x/day, and nursing when I'm with baby. Recently, two weeks ago he had his first cold & ear infection, nursed ok maybe not as much. Up until then I was pumping pretty well, with at least 6-8 oz. per session.I also have started my period about 2 months ago too. Last week, my pumping output has significantly decreased to 3 oz. total. Is this due to his cold? I know from reading and info from LC or local LLL that babies are far better than pumps with removing milk, but this makes me nervous and I'm feeling stressed about it.

My husband is home taking care of babe for these two months (before we start daycare) and we are using my freezer stash (I know I need to add to my stash when we use it, but haven't done so thus far due to a variety of factors *sigh*). Either way I'm feeling nervous. I want to nurse as long as possible, have been doing very well, and babe appears to be ok when we're nursing.

What have others done to increase milk amounts from pump sessions? I plan to add a third pumping session, I'm feeding baby before leaving for work, I'm considering herbal supplements- but should I talk with my local LC first? for me? I'm trying to eat more foods that support lactation, I'm working on my hydration--that is what I thought it was that affected me due to a heat wave here--..Any words of wisdom?

Default Re: Pumping--seeing a decrease

You are probably just hitting the 8-9 month old pumping wall. It happens to us all. I just went through that myself; I'm EPing for a cleft baby. It's hard!

Increase number of sessions. Increase your nursing sessions; cosleeping helps to increase your supply too. Try some fenugreek and other herbs; blessed thistle might help. I found that drinking a cup of tea that I made with one teabag of Mother's Milk tea and one teabag of Milkmaid tea 2-3 times a day (sometimes, I just made one big cup and used 2 of each tea in it) and eating oatmeal boosted my supply. That said, it took me a full 2 weeks to get through it.

If he decreased his nursing during the cold, that could have contributed. But so many moms hit that wall around now -- most actually say 9 months-- that IMHO, what you are going through is pretty common. But you can come back from it. Just keep pumping.

Also, check your pump out. Change the membranes. Try a different horn size if it's been a while since you were sized. If necessary, try a hospital grade pump for a couple weeks. Try a pumping session while driving to/from work.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

thank you for your advice and words of wisdom. Seriously gave me a little boost to being persistant and working through this slump. I'll look at the size, and I've increase pumping sessions, which today I think I'm starting to see a slight increase. It's nice to know that I'm not crazy and that others hit a wall about this time too.phew. I've been stressing about it and making sure there's enough milk at home, and trying to get my mind and body to relax as I work through this.
    I learned a lot about cleft palate's from a friend's son who also had a cleft palate/lip. He's now 2 years and has come a long way with surgeries. I hope all is going well for your baby too, good luck and than you!

Hi! I have pumped for 9-1/2 months now. I have never breastfed. My lil man never latched due to his time he spent in the hospital when he was born. I have hit walls a few times where my milk has dropped. Right before your period and during, your milk will drop. I use Fenugreek when my milk starts to fail. I take 2 pills before bed for about a week. I increase my water intake also. After I quit taking my Fenugreek and my milk increases a TON! Any other time, I am pumping SEVERAL times a day. I try to pump every 2-3 hours, although there are days where that is EXTREMELY hard. Increase the amount of times you feed/pump, and increase your water intake and you should see an increase in your milk. REMEMBER: milk is a supply and demand thing, the more it's demanded, the more your body will make. If you are like me, I am about watered out! They make all types of flavors you can put in your water that are sugar free.

Good Luck, and DONT stress...that causes a slow down too! =)

Yeah, I'm seeing an increase! Adding a pumping session, nursing & cosleeping keeping it going, and making sure I'm staying hydrated. Oh and stress too, trying to keep that in check. Seriously being persistant and seeing a change gives me hope and a positive outlook. thanks!

Power pumping is an awesome tactic too, Mama. If you pump for 10 minutes, don't for 10 minutes, pump for 10 minutes, etc. for half an hour total it stimulates a growth spurt. It usually takes about 3 days for your work to pay off, but you can definitely tell a difference after you've done a few power pumping sessions during the day.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.