Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vegetables first?

Default Vegetables first?

My LO will be 6 months in about 10 days ! I'm planning on starting BLS at about 6 months. I've been reading quite a bit about it and am trying not to get too nervous. But, one thing that can't decide is whether to do veggies before moving on to "sweets" like fruits.

What did you all do? Seems to me that sweet potatoes (what I was planning on giving her first since they are my fav (healthy) food) are just as sweet as some fruits.

Thanks!
    Mother to Quenby Anne, born 29 March 2011, 5 lbs. 9 oz, but doubled birth weight in 9 weeks!

Interested in maternal attachment and research about infant development? Check out my blog! www.asecurebase.blogspot.com

Default Re: Vegetables first?

IME, it doesn't matter. Honestly. A kid will eat what he likes and won't eat what he doesn't like. I know what the "experts" say, but I also know the experts are often wrong and they are not experts on my children

I actually started my last three with Cheerios. Easy to pick up, turns to mush in their mouths.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Sweet potatoes are a great first food--full of nutrients. You can feed it as a puree or give it to them in chunks to self feed.

We are big on Cheerios too. Pretty much DS2 eats Cheerios and whatever from our dinner it is reasonable for him to eat.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

The whole veggies first thing is a crock, IMHO. The whole idea is not to get your baby hooked on sweet foods, but hello, have the so-called experts ever tasted breastmilk? It's sweet like ice cream!

FWIW, I say feel free to start with sweet potatoes.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I forget what we started with exactly, but I know that sweet potato, bananas, avocado, and pears were among the first things we offered. We also did baby led solids and those things are easy for baby to eat. You can also grind up brown rice into a fine powder or crush up some cheerios, and roll the slippery things (like banana) in them so they can pick them up.
    Last edited by @llli*sch.mommy; September 21st, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I started DD with banana and sweet potato, but these days she's really into savory flavors and will barely even look at fruit. At her birthday party, she set down her carrot cake after a single bite and went back to munching her carrot stick. I don't think I messed her up.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    The whole veggies first thing is a crock, IMHO. The whole idea is not to get your baby hooked on sweet foods, but hello, have the so-called experts ever tasted breastmilk? It's sweet like ice cream!

FWIW, I say feel free to start with sweet potatoes.
    I agree. Just because something is sweet (fruit) doesn't mean it's not healthy.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

I alternated with a veggie then a fruit, then a veggie etc. Ds1 eats anything. He always has. Ds2 will not eat fruit and loves just about any veggie.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

We started with sweet potatoes cooked on the grill and just mashed up. DS loved shoving them in his mouth and we also spoon feed him sometimes, he grabs the spoon and shoves it in his mouth, too. We went with Avocado next, which he LOVES and then bananas which he was kind of meh about and then butternut squash which he loves. I think pretty much any safe thing is fine, the order probably doesn't matter all that much. We have tried to space new foods out one week so we can see if he has any adverse reactions.

I agree that they will just like what they like. We have offered both kids basically the same variety of foods, and although DS1 will eat pretty much any fruit or veggie that isn't leafy and green, DS2 is extremely picky with fruits and veggies. I think we started DS1 off with mostly fruits, but he eats plenty of veggies and beans.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine