Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lactulose intelorant

Default Lactulose intelorant

I may be lactulose inter.. I am alway gassy after dairy..I only consume small amounts...I take my prenatals with my calcium... What does this mean for my daughter. She is always gasy...always...even in her sleep..just like me... Do I need to get checked out...or stop breastfeeding.

Help
    born 8lbs 12oz 21 inches
    Left hospital after c/s 8lbs 6 oz
    1 week old- 8lbs 6 oz
    2 weeks old- 8lbs 11 oz
    1 month- 9lbs 11 oz
    2 months 8/2/11- 12lbs 5 oz
    3 months- 14lbs even
    4 months-16lbs even
    6 months- 18lbs 6oz
    8 months-21lbs on home scale
    9 months-22lbs and 13 ouz
    11 months- ?
    12th months June 2
    Can't believe I have made it 11 1/2 months of nursing!!

Default Re: Lactulose intelorant

Have you tried taking a dairy digestive enzyme? That has helped my DH a lot. He can also consume aged cheeses like cheddar and parmesan without a problem since they have little or no lactose. You can also get plenty of calcium from alternative milks like soy, almond, coconut, etc that are fortified with calcium. And you could also take a calcium supplement if your prenatal doesn't have much. As far as your child being gassy, that is unlikely to be related to the lactose intolerance. In my experience, babies are especially gassy. If there are no other symptoms besides just gas I wouldn't worry. Does she seem especially miserable on a daily basis? Any signs of an allergy like bloody stools or anything? I don't see any reason to stop breastfeeding because of it. Lactose intolerance is EXTREMELY common, I think 90% of adults in the world have it. It is actually a genetic mutation among northern Europeans and some tribes in Africa that raise cattle to even be able to digest lactose beyond adulthood.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

with the PP. Lactose intolerance is very common in adults, but almost unheard of in babies. The ability to produce lactase, the enzyme which allows people to digest lactose, decreases with time. Babies make lots of lactase because their diet (breastmilk) is full of lactose. But it's not natural for any mammal to consume milk into adulthood, so lactase production generally shuts down as time goes on. It's a waste of energy to produce an enzyme that isn't going to be used, right? However, some human populations carry a genetic mutation which allows them to keep on producing large amounts of lactase into adulthood, and even if you are a member of one of those groups there's no guarantee that a given adult will be lactose-tolerant.

So no, you do not need to stop nursing over this!

Thanks gals for responding. She has never had bloody stools or even green ones. Her stool are very runny, all the time, with bits of curd. When she was younger there were more curds and it was a bit thicker. Otherwise she seems fine. She is fussy but I beleive its due to the teething process from starting. She wants to suck anything and everything. She gnaws DH hands so much and she has started to gum my nips (ouch).

As for me, the daily gas issue only started after I had my c-section with her. Never had this gas issue b4 adn I read it can result from c-sect. I do have alot of scar tissue in there, had to do IVF to get baby, and doc removed some from intestines so I think this occurred at that point.

As long as I am not hurting daughter then I can deal with gas.

My main concern is if I am lactose intelorant then should I go dairy free for her to make her life easy. I will do whatever it takes... I do not want to stop breastfeeding.
    born 8lbs 12oz 21 inches
    1 week old- 8lbs 6 oz
    2 weeks old- 8lbs 11 oz
    1 month- 9lbs 11 oz
    3 months- 14lbs even
    4 months-16lbs even
    6 months- 18lbs 6oz
    11 months- ?
    12th months June 2

When a baby has an issue with dairy, it is almost always a problem with the proteins in cow's milk. Lactose is a sugar, not a protein. Whether or not you are lactose-intolerant is really not relevant to whether or not your baby has a problem with diary proteins.

Going dairy-free is certainly something you can try, but based on what you describe- simple gassiness without bloody or green poops- I think that assuming that your child has a problem with dairy is a bit of a stretch. As Samiha said, babies are just gassy things! I know it can be really hard as a breastfeeding mom to not blame every little thing your baby does/doesn't do on something you did/didn't do- but sometimes you just have to remember that your baby is her own person, and a lot of what she does is not your fault.

Hmm, interesting about the C section increasing gassiness. Why is that? Does it cause an imbalance in the bacteria in your gut or something after having the abdominal surgery? Maybe a probiotic would you help too. It might even help your DD too, it certainly can't hurt. We give both our kids probiotics and we started with DS2 when he was an infant. It has helped my kids with constipation and other issues, and I hear it can be good for those who are lactose intolerant and for gassiness too.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I assume you meant lactose and not lactulose? Lactulose is a laxative...it has a history of making anyone who takes it gassy
    Last edited by @llli*Leslie; September 24th, 2011 at 10:30 PM.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Default Re: Lactose intelorant

Yes, I mean lactose.LOL I worked for a veterinary for a number of years and we gave out a lot of lactulose to cats. For some reason they were also constipated. I guess as I typed my mind went straight to that word.

I dont know where I read it, c-sect, but I read it somewhere on here.
    born 8lbs 12oz 21 inches
    1 week old- 8lbs 6 oz
    2 weeks old- 8lbs 11 oz
    1 month- 9lbs 11 oz
    3 months- 14lbs even
    4 months-16lbs even
    6 months- 18lbs 6oz
    11 months- ?
    12th months June 2