Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate this. I truly hate it.

Default Re: I hate this. I truly hate it.

I had cracked bleeding nipples, especially my left, for weeks. My son got a posterior tongue tie clipped at 5 weeks and I wore soft shells to protect my nipples for about a week straight and that is what really turned it around for me! Hope you get things straightened out soon, it really is rewarding once it becomes pain free!!

Thanks, everybody. I appreciate the comments. I am seeing a doc who is IBCLC certified, but she and her staff don't agree that it might be yeast. In fact her nurse called me back yesterday and was sweet but a little condescending about it. Now thrush is a yeast overgrowth, you know (yes. I know, I can read kellymom same as you) and it's just so raaaaare to have it happen during a breast infection. Oh and the old standby: He doesn't have any symptoms so it just can't be thrush! So forgive me if I'm weary of LCs at this point.

I try to get as much nip in the mouth as I can, but it's so swollen and irritated, and he spends at least the first five minutes clawing at me and yanking on me, I have to hold my boob up (they're huge) with one hand and clamp his head in place with the other. And he wants to nurse for 45 minutes every 45 minutes. I'm so weary of this.

And I guess the most depressing part is that I've had to do this three times now. The aching, swelling, streaky boob, followed by the giant blister--not a bleb or whatever, but the whole tip skin will blister. Then the medication. Which makes him fussy. Which makes him want to nurse. And just as soon as we start to equalize, boom, back to square one again. I feel trapped. It hurts so much, and the pain is just as bad as the anticipation of the pain. And believe me I know pain; I've had several major surgeries and gave birth without meds to an 11-plus pounder. I know I shouldn't compare myself to anyone, but it's hard not to when my mom breastfed with no problems and my sister started to lactate in sympathy watching me writhe in pain at a feed. Argh. This is hell.

Oh, and to answer the other queries: Doc says no tongue tie, but it's the same doc that says no thrush so who knows; right side has had no problems other than a bit of soreness; I tried leaning back but as I mentioned I have huge, floppy breasts and while my child is terribly advanced intellectually I don't think he'd think to look for my nipples in my armpits, so I have to squish my boobs up to him, and he gets this weird shallow latch if he latches at all, otherwise it just pisses him off.

Oh wow! That all sounds awful. I'm so sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time.

It sounds to me like it could be one of several things, or a combination. Possibly thrush, or vasospasm/Raynaud's is another possibility, but if his latch is causing damage it could cause the symptoms you describe just by itself.

Since your doctor doesn't think it's thrush, what does she think is causing the problem?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Hang in there! And get a 2nd opinion from a different doctor!
    July 27 2011

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    Oh wow! That all sounds awful. I'm so sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time.

It sounds to me like it could be one of several things, or a combination. Possibly thrush, or vasospasm/Raynaud's is another possibility, but if his latch is causing damage it could cause the symptoms you describe just by itself.

Since your doctor doesn't think it's thrush, what does she think is causing the problem?

find an IBCLC who is NOT associated with your doctor's practice and ask her for an opinion.

You can treat thrush on your own I'd definitely try that...what are you out to lose?

And do you have an OS? If so, that could be the root cause of your mastitis.

(I also had an 11+ pounder with no drugs and with a midwife)
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post

find an IBCLC who is NOT associated with your doctor's practice and ask her for an opinion.

You can treat thrush on your own I'd definitely try that...what are you out to lose?
    and FWIW my son showed no signs/symptoms of thrush when I had it. But it definitely cleared up after treatment for me. Good luck mama! Hope you find some relief soon!
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

Karen - I had a breast reduction over ten years ago, and her theory--and I think this does have merit, from what I have researched--is that both the mastitis and the blanching nips may be a reaction to that surgery. The ductwork in there (and its been in the same exact spot, a knot of hard tissue inside the bottom outside of the left breast) may just be kinked up. She was hoping that eventually it would atrophy from disuse, but couldn't say when that would occur. (Fair enough; who knows?) Also I read a study that seemed to correlate breast surgery with nipple blanching; since reading it I am careful to cover my nipples after he is done with night feedings. It seems to only happen at night which is one reason why I didn't spot it because, duh, the lights are off.

Aprilsmagic - I am not sure. I don't feel any letdown whatsoever when he nurses, and I think I can count on one hand the number of times he has stopped the feed. Usually its me prying him off. He could go for hours. Lately I finish up and his hand is in his mouth (hasn't found the thumb yet) like he's ravenous. He's had more tummy pain, spit-up, and gas lately which I think is from the antibiotic? But no, I don't think I have oversupply... I don't drip or leak or really feel full at all.

And now I want to ask you about sewing my own diapers. But that's for another thread.

Feeling a bit better today. Its just so disheartening to deal with this because he doesn't really nap at all and we're still feeding SO much all the time. Blerg. Thank God we've sidecarred his crib to our bed or I'd be completely useless. Nursed in bed this morning from 2:30-ish to 5-ish (he stayed on the whole time while we both dozed. With the rate he nurses I am convinced I am going to come find him playing in his pack-n-play and he'll be a 6-foot thirteen year old.
    Last edited by @llli*shortthumbs; September 23rd, 2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Typo!

If you had a reduction, you might find some useful information here: http://bfar.org/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

FWIW, I had breast surgery twice on one breast, and that side doesn't make as much, and it's really prone to blockages and mastitis as well So I think your theory is probably right on. You can make it through this.

FWIW #2, when I had my third baby, I felt a lot of pain still 10 days out. Baby had no sign of thrush. I had no other sign of thrush. I MADE my MW give me a prescription for APNO, and I MADE the ped treat baby too (Diflucan), and within just a few days, things were pain-free.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!