Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Friend told she had to stop breastfeedin

Exclamation Friend told she had to stop breastfeedin

A good friend of mine was told she HAD to stop breastfeeding because she was having her hip replaced. The dr told her that because the hip replacement was metal on metal that the "ions" in her body wouldn't be good for the baby. Her baby is 3 or 4 months right now and she already is dried up. When she told me that today I asked her if she wanted to stop and she said no. I told her I'd find out some info for her and let her know ASAP. She is more than willing to pump to get her supply back. Any help is appreciated...her surgery is next week.
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

Default Re: Friend told she had to stop breastfe

Wow, that sounds very suspicious to me, but I don't have the specific knowledge here to say yea or nay. I think I would contact Infant Risk: http://www.infantrisk.com/

Thanks mommal...I'm going to contact them.
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

Can you please tell us what they say? I'd be interested in hearing about it.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

sounds weird...what did infant risk say?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    sounds weird...what did infant risk say?
    It's too late to call infant risk today...so I'll call Monday morning and let you know what they say. I thought about e-mailing Dr. Newman too, but I can't find his e-mail address or anything...can anyone point me in the right direction for that? I know people have e-mailed him before.
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

Never mind...I found the place to send him an e-mail!
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

I actually heard a whole episode on some daytime show on NPR talking about the ions that get released into the body and the pros and cons of various hip replacements. (Now that I think about it, not sure why I didn't change the channel.) It is a very real health concern though, and I know they said on the show that certain kind of hip replacements were NOT recommended for women of childbearing age due to the ion release, so it is a very real medical concern.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

So, I heard back from Dr. Newman...here's the question and the answer he gave:

I'm asking this for a good friend of mine. She is having a hip replacement and she was told she has to wean because the replacement is metal on metal and the "ions" that will be in her body from that will be bad for the baby. I thought it sounded very strange.

Thanks!
    Melanie

Dear Ms Wyman,

It is very strange. She should just ignore such ridiculous advice.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC
    P.S. She can breastfeed as soon as she is awake after the surgery and up to it. Someone needs to help her probably and it doesn’t sound as if it’s the staff at the hospital.

I did some reading on the ions myself and from everything I've read, the ions are released slowly into the joint space as the joint starts to wear...I think she would be long done with breastfeeding before anything significant was in her system. I feel really bad that she took her orthopedic surgeon's word for it and weaned already. I'm still going to call InfantRisk on Monday for her to see what they say too.
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and