Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instant oatmeal and mother's milk tea

Default Instant oatmeal and mother's milk tea

Ok my question is this....Does instant oatmeal work to boost supply or does it have to be real oatmeal that I cook. The other question is this..my milk supply is adequate for my baby but I am needing to build a supply for when I go back to work. I am trying to pump just once a day and have been pumping after the morning feed. So the question is should I drink the tea to boost my supply even though it is adequate for my baby? If I drink the tea will it cause oversupply? And if I start drinking the tea will my supply drop dramatically if I stop?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Default Re: Instant oatmeal and mother's milk te

I drank the tea and did the oatmeal and created an oversupply! My son started having green poos and was really fussy I think they recommend adding one extra pumping session after your morning feeding. I hope someone else can chime in
    Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13

I was also eating oatmeal and drinking the tea, and I also developed an oversupply. Who knows if that is related or not!

As long as you are willing to take a while to get your supply to go back to work, I wouldn't worry about increasing your supply. You probably won't get a lot when you are pumping between feeds, especially at the beginning. But remember that you really only need 1-2 days of milk because once you start working you should be pumping enough each day for the next day's feed.

When I was pumping to get ready to go back to work, I would get about 1 oz per pump session. I would collect them and when I had 4 oz I would freeze it.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Ok thanks that makes perfect sense. I still have 4 weeks before I have to go back. But I work 12 hour shifts and with travel time I will be gone 14 hours so I have to have a good amount for just one shift back so of course this gives me something new to worry about
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

I was going to post similar question- can it be instant oatmeal or does it have to be real kind?

I don't eat oatmeal, so I never tried it. However, I drank Mother's Milk Tea (I still do) in order to pump extra milk for work while feeding my LO on demand. I was able to pump about 9 oz a day. I have never been engorged and never leaked.

I have had results with both kinds of oatmeal, and I know oatmeal cookies are also effective. I think it depends on the person. You may also have luck with hops (or actual beer)
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Hi, where can I find the tea you're talking about (Mother's Milk Tea)? Is it a found in stores or do you make it yourself?

Please help!! I've been lowering my supply in milk and I only have been breastfeeding for 3 weeks =(

I found it at HEB I think there are some in Mexico????

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ruizvi.74 View Post
    Hi, where can I find the tea you're talking about (Mother's Milk Tea)? Is it a found in stores or do you make it yourself?

Please help!! I've been lowering my supply in milk and I only have been breastfeeding for 3 weeks =(
    Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13