Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Borrow Breastpump in Houston TX in Oct?

Default Borrow Breastpump in Houston TX in Oct?

Hi,
    I'll be with a large group travelling to Houston, TX in the 3rd week of October for the Sweet Adelines singing competition. One of our members, and a dear friend of mine, is still nursing her toddler, and since she's usually a stay-at-home mom, she doesn't own an efficient breast pump. She tried using a manual Avent Isis pump the last time we went away for a weekend event, but after 2 days, she was extremely uncomfortable. When I was in the same situation a few years ago, I managed to hand-express enough to get by, but unfortunately, it just doesn't work for her.

We're trying to see if we can find someone in the area who's got a good electric pump they're not using that she could borrow for the week. She may be willing to pay a little for it. We looked at websites of local companies that rent breastpumps, but it's all based on monthly rates for a minimum 3-month rental. She's not planning to save the milk (she'll be pumping and dumping), so she's not too concerned about borrowing a used pump in that respect.

We'll be staying in a hotel near the convention center, so location could be an issue (I visited many years ago and recall Houston to be pretty sprawling).

If anyone has any ideas about what she could do, or if anyone is willing to lend an old pump, (or knows someone who might) let me know!

Default Re: Borrow Breastpump in Houston TX in O

Instead of borrowing a pump, which might not be efficient enough for her, rent a hospital grade pump from a local hospital or lactation consultant for the week, either at home and carry it with, or there in TX and then return it before leaving. She might end up paying for a month's rental, and they will not have the 3 month minimum. Many LC's have 1 month rentals.

She could also purchase a Medela Swing, which is a single sided pump, but not very expensive (just a little more expensive than a rental) or a Lansinoh, which isn't expensive when coupled with a 20% discount from BRU.

While she might not be concerned about borrowing a pump, I know I'd be concerned about loaning a pump myself

Good luck!

I don't think LLL endorses pump sharing
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for the tip about LC/hospitals - I actually work at a maternity hospital, and used to work downstairs from a BF clinic... will check on that.

As for the pump sharing - it's more that we were looking for a pump that someone wasn't using anymore, and I kinda had this thought in the back of my head that the parts that you purchase when you rent (tubing and stuff) would need to be replaced before the next use anyway. Anyhow, it was a vague notion...

True about the tubes, but the MOTOR fills with nasty stuff unless it's a closed system.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!