Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump not working properly?

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

Default Pump not working properly?

Just getting a bit worried...I'm really struggling to pump at the moment. I have an Avent Isis manual pump and have found it great in the past. Had it for maybe 18 mths or so and wash in hot soapy water.

Now though I am struggling to get anything much out and this can be after a full day at work and no feeding. My ds feeds round the clock too.

Anyway...started worrying about supply as am 6 +3 wks pg. Tried to pump and after much effort got an oz. Then went to feed Edward and I could hear massive chugs of milk going down.

Seen some info about boiling the pump online. Any ideas about this? Does it mean to boil it or just leave in boiled water?

Suggestions would be great thanks xx
    Diane

Mummy to Edward 24 months and still nursing and with no2 !l

Default Re: Pump not working properly?

I boiled mine, and you can replace the parts too...but....I hate to tell you this...it might be because of the pregnancy. When I was pregnant, one of the first symptoms was an inability to pump and baby nursed all.the.time. And I noticed that it happened really early, like 5 weeks! That happened every single pregnancy I've had (5 total). I'd see if boiling it helped, and if not, it might be hormonal. And yes, I plopped it in boiling water.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

Hi Susan,

ok will try this. Edward is still nursing as much and doesn't seem distressed by any lack of milk, and i can hear him drinking it too. I know the pump's aren't as strong though. It isn't even sucking against my face when i try it! Will try it later. So did you actually boil it up for a few mins over the hob? sorry to not fully understand what you've already said brain not working!
    Diane

I put it in a pot and turned the stove on and boiled it. Then I shut the stove off and let everything cool before fishing it all out.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for clarifying that - just done it today, as last time I just put it to stand in the boiled water.
    We'll see what happens. It is getting pretty old and not boiled it before. Edward perfectly happy at the breast. Did your little uns fuss at the breast when your supply went?
    Diane

They would nurse more often, longer and go back and forth, no crying, just wanting to nurse all the time in an instinctual fashion to try to drive my supply up.
    Susan

thanks for sharing. Edward has been doing a lot of back and forth - but then again he did start doing this when he entered the world of toddlerhood and could communicate his whimsical needs!

I am worried about my supply and it affecting Edward, but I'm trying to just go with it too...and go with DS...
    Diane

Well, when you are pregnant, there's nothing you can do about your supply. It is what it is. And if your baby weans, that's what happens. I did have one who resumed nursing again after the new baby came, and I had one who nursed almost the whole way through pregnancy. The other two weaned around halfway through the pregnancy. I was honestly kind of glad when they all quit nursing as it really hurt quite a lot, and I was kind of tired of having them hanging on me every last second trying to get something to come out. It was a nice little break of a couple months before it started with the new baby.
    Susan

i understand that. thanks again for info. Yes, I'm just going with it.
    Diane