Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My 8 Mo old would not nurse today, Help!

Default My 8 Mo old would not nurse today, Help!

My little girl, who normally is a very good breastfeeder, would not nurse today. I am freaking out because I am not ready to stop nursing - I want to go to at least a year. I started taking acidopholus yesterday, would that be effecting the taste of my milk? How can I sweeten my milk for her?

Default Re: My 8 Mo old would not nurse today, H

This has some information on nursing strikes, which sounds like what is happening.

s
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Is it possible that she is teething or not feeling well? We sometimes have off-days.

That being said, I find that since DS is so interested in eating, he is not as interested in nursing (DS is about 9 months now). He has always been very distractable, but has taken it to a whole new level. I tried for quite some time to keep all feeds going, nursing on demand and always offering breast before meals, and was met with squirming and disinterest (and I figured it wasn't doing either of us any favours to "make" him). Instead, I have have found that he is still interested during our "quiet times", and focused on those - when he gets up in the morning, around naptimes, before bed, and through the night as needed. At these times, he actually feeds well, and doesn't just use me as a soother. Sometimes, especially when he's not feeling well, he'll actively seek a nurse (shirt-lift vs hungry noises) without it being offered. I've let him take the lead (at least I think I have), and feel that he's weaned himself from some feeds - I am just happy that we are still getting several BFs in at this stage, as we climbed mountains in the early days (as such, I see each day we continue, even if it's in part, as a victory).

Good luck, and I hope you find a solution that works for you!

I'd stop the supplement and see if that makes a difference, and then I'd make sure LO doesn't have an ear infection or is teething. And check out that link above on nursing strikes.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I agree with the above posting. Maybe she isn't feeling well because of teething or an ear infection. Or maybe she has gas or even thrush. When my daughter won't nurse, I bounce around the house with her, because I automatically assume gas (which it normally is).