Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My toddler (!) won't take milk

Default My toddler (!) won't take milk

I can't believe I'm posting into the Toddler section , Aini turned one yesterday! And off we are into Toddlerland!

Back to the point... I started taking driving lessons so I'm leaving her for about 3- 3:30 hours. She won't take milk from a cup or a bottle or anything. I'm not too worried because it's not too long and when I get home she nurses.

However, I'll start working next week for around 2-3 times a week, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. more or less. And I'm worried that she won't take anything! We've tried frozen EBM, fresh EBM, whole milk, even formula! In a sippy cup, with a straw, in a glass, in a bottle...nothing! If she doesn't like what the rest is having for lunch she won't eat aaanything til I get home.

She nurses when she wakes up, sometimes before I leave, when I come home, maybe before her afternoon nap...and then again before bedtime. Sometimes she has an extra feeding session in the afternoon. We cosleep and she still nurses around 2 times during the night.

Can she spend 8 hours without any milk!? And without any solids if she doesn't like it!? I don't know what to do. Should I add something to milk to see if she likes the taste.

Oh and she usually naps after nursing or while nursing, so the person babysitting her is having a hard time getting her to sleep. Only until she's exhausted (and starving!). When she was younger and I worked she would fall asleep during or after a bottle of EBM.
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

Default Re: My toddler (!) won't take milk

It's no thing. After one. As long as she is still nursing 3-5 times in a 24hour period and eating solids after one she doesn't need more. I used to leave DJ at Daycare with Food and a water bottle. He would drink water while away from me and nurse on demand while together. No substitutes. No problem.

Way too lazy for formula

Yep - she'll be ok with water and whatever solids she feels like eating.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

She doesn't need milk, water will be fine if she's nursing when you're together.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Phew...good. Now I only have to convince everybody else .
    Yai

Send them over to talk to me if they haz any questions!

Way too lazy for formula

Is there a way to ensure that there is something there for her to eat for lunch that she does like? No milk while you are gone is probably okay but no liquids or solids for 8 hours sounds pretty intense for a little one Will she drink water?

No one said NOTHING for 8hours. We are all saying by one year old they can be left for 8 hours with solid food and a sippy of WATER with no milk replacements.

Way too lazy for formula

Oh no, she does drink water..like.. A LOT..she loves it because it's very hot down here. The person taking care of her is a family mamber, so if she doesn't want milk or what they had for lunch, they offer something else, maybe bread, cheese cubes or even fruit juice, so don't worry we're not in a dictatorship "no milk, no nothing!" , just kidding .
    Yai