Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Toddler weaned herself, I'm in pain HELP

Default Toddler weaned herself, I'm in pain HELP

Two days ago my 15month old daughter decided to stop nursing.

She regularly breastfeed around 4 times a day - mostly before going to bed, as comfort. On Sunday she turned her nose at my breast, whined and finally pulled my shirt down with a look that said "I don't want this no more". I guess I'm closed for business!

Part of me is happy - I was wondering how we were going to approach the weaning part of our adventure and I'm glad it's her decision. I'm also a bit sad 'cause, well, my baby is growing up.

The problem however is that my boobs haven't received the message. They are producing alot of milk and it's killing me!! I've been trying to relieve the pressure by squeezing a bit of milk in the shower or over the sink (lovely image I'm sure) but not too much because I don't want to activate even more milk production.

Is there anything else I can do to stop milk production?
    I'm afraid of getting a plugged duct or worse mastitis.

Thank you for your input!

Default Re: Toddler weaned herself, I'm in pain

Ouch! That must be super uncomfortable. If my sixteen month old stopped nursing, I'd probably explode. I think you are on the right track by hand expressing when necessary to restore comfort. As long as you keep the milk removal on the minimal side, your body will eventually get the message and stop producing. In other words, you don't want to express to the point where you feel like you've emptied the breast, just to the point where you're comfortable. A cup of peppermint or sage tea also might help- those herbs are supposed to be useful for diminishing supply. Don't worry too much about plugged ducts or mastitis- unless you are very prone to either one engorgement alone should not necessarily lead to either one. But if it does, then you can revisit the issue and pump and express more milk until you've dealt with the problem, after which you can go back to trying to decrease supply.

That being said, would you be open to nursing again? Just because your baby is in a "no thanks" frame of mind doesn't mean you are bound to accept that, or that she has made a permanent decision. Kids are so whimsical and changeable at that age! If you offer the breast, she might change her mind and unwean. To me, that would be a plus- there are a lot of good reasons to nurse a toddler. No pressure, of course!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Cabbage leaves on the breasts really help reduce supply for a lot of mamas.

I know kids do self-wean at that age, but if Joe had decided to stop nursing at 15 months, I would have wondered if he was sick. Sore throats or ears can make babies suddenly give up nursing. Self-weaning is (usually) a bit more gradual, but there are exceptions of course.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thank you so much for your input! Sage tea and cabbage are now on my grocery list! Hopefully this will work.