Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stopping pumping?

Default Stopping pumping?

My almost 1 year old does not drink milk out of a cup or bottle when I am at work (recently started working 3 days per week). He drinks water out of a straw cup all day long but will only take a few sips of EBM. When I get home he can't get to me fast enough to nurse. I am thinking of stopping pumping in 2 weeks when he turns one. Any reason not to?
    Also, is there any hope he will ever drink milk from a cup?

Default Re: Stopping pumping?

I should add that my son nurses at least 2x on the days I am home during the time when I would be at work so I am worried that stopping pumping will decrease my daytime supply.

Many moms here "pump weaned" when their LO were around 1 year old and then continued to breastfeed for a LONG time afterwards.

You need to gradually taper off your pumping sessions - cut back the amount of time and number of pumping sessions over the course of a couple of weeks. This will allow your supply to gradually regulate.

I found that right after I pump weaned - on a Monday at work after nursing all weekend I'd be a little "full" and would just hand express a LITTLE for comfort. After a couple of weeks my supply evened out.

At this point your supply is very well established and should regulate to meet demand whenever you are with your LO and otherwise be fine.

It's a scary step to take to stop pumping - but your body DOES know what to do.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Ok thanks! Is it normal that on the days I am home my son wants to nurse all the time? Much more frequently than when I was not working...

Yep - sounds normal. Baby is getting nutritional needs met AND reconnecting with mama.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)