Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping at work with low supply?????

Default Pumping at work with low supply?????

Hello, my DD is 6 months old now and I should be back to work in a month or so. In the last month we needed about 4-7 oz fomula supplement in order to have a correct weight gain and diapers output. I nurse on demand day and night and in fact she never goes more than 2 hours without nursing. I am worried for when I'll be back to work. When I pump I never seem to get more than 1-1.5 oz even if I occasionally replace one feed with pumping. I am able to get milk for about 5 min when pumping, then no more. I need to stop, wait 5-10 min and pump again if I want more to come.
    Could you tell me what a normal pumping schedule should be to keep supply up and provide enough for 10 hours outside home? I won't be able to pump and drive.
    I am using now a medela symphony, but i should buy a portable pump, could you suggest a very efficient one?
    Thanks a lot for the help!

Default Re: Pumping at work with low supply?????

I am away from DD about that long, and I pump 3x a day - 1st at 8:30AM (about 7-8ounces), then around Noon (4-5oz), and once more around 3PM(3-4oz). I generally get at least 12-16oz which is plenty for the whole day. Check out this link for a lot of good tips -->http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/

I use Medela PISA, and it is great. Just make sure you have the right size shields->http://www.medela.com/IW/en/breastfe...astshield.html It makes a big difference!
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

That pump is a great pump. The biggest issue is its size, but you can haul it to work once and just leave it there.

Are you using the right size horns? That would be the first place to start IMHO.

Also, bear in mind that your LO is nursing a lot, so you might not be able to pump a lot. But when you are away from baby, you will probably get more. The average mom makes 1 to 1.5 oz per hour.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Learning how to massage and use my hands with my breasts while pumping made a HUGE difference in the amount of milk I was able to get during a pumping session at work, and it cut down on the amount of time it takes to empty my breasts.

See the very first sticky thread in this part of the forum for a great video on how to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sassypants View Post
    Learning how to massage and use my hands with my breasts while pumping made a HUGE difference in the amount of milk I was able to get during a pumping session at work, and it cut down on the amount of time it takes to empty my breasts.
    I totally agree.

My 6.5 month old nurses roughly every 2 hours when we're together too. At work, I pump at 8:30am, 10:30am, 12:30pm, and 2:30pm. I get about 12 oz, which is what he drinks for the 9 hours he's at daycare. I think you should try to pump every 2 hours at work if you can, especially if you're struggling with supply. The more you pump, the better!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Thanks mamas for your answers. I looked at medela size here in switzerland but it seems they don't sell the PIS or PISA here, only Freestyle. Is this one as good?

I use a Freestyle for travel, as it is battery or plug-in, and I like it very much. I prefer the Symphony, as I get more out with it, but the Freestyle is just as good IMHO as a PISA or Lansinoh/Ameda pump. It does fit easily in a bag and takes up very little room. It is noisy though.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!