Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding all night

Default Feeding all night

I have an almost 20 day old newborn and for the past week she has been feeding all night. It seemed to start with her being up from 12-4am. Now her typical night is feeding every hour all night. Last night she nursed every hour from 8:30 to 12:30. I really tried to get her in the crib after midnight but she was up at 1:30 so I had just started to fall asleep. At that point I put her in my bed and nursed her side lying at about 2 and 3. I tried her back in the crib at 4 but ended up holding her/sleeping until 6:30 and then fed her again. Then we were all up for the day and now I'm nursing her again at 7:30am! Usually she will nurse until 8:30 am then fall asleep and I get a nap. All day she will go 2-3 hrs, and mostly naps in her crib or pack n play. Why is she up all night?! It is really affecting my confidence. We have plenty of wet and dirties and were back at birth weight about 1 week out but haven't weighed recently. I'm trying to keep the day bright and all in case she has nights and days swapped...

Default Re: Feeding all night

My guess is that this is either reverse cycling (days and nights swapped) or a growth spurt. Are you okay with co-sleeping? It was the only way I got any sleep when my kids were that age. If I tried to put either one of them in a crib or bassinet or whatever, they acted like I had laid them down in a nest of hungry crocodiles, and were up screeching within minutes.

Good times.

You're doing great, mama. Just hang in there!!! And at 20 days you can start instituting a loose bedtime routine- around the same time each night, turn down the lights, turn off the music and tv, give baby a warm bath, nurse... It probably won't generate a great night's sleep right now but it will build good, predictable habits or the future.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Don't let it affect your confidence at all. Sounds totally normal to me. My son is a year and still has nights like that when he's teething, growing or getting sick. I agree about having the baby in bed as the only way to make it through those tough times.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

My LO is 8 weeks and is still up every 2.5 hours at night. I think he still has his days and nights confused because the sitter says he sleeps in 4 hour stretches
    July 27 2011

If it will make you feel more confident to hear other mommas say this is normal--then you should feel very confident. When my current LO was that age he pretty much spent all night in bed with us. Both of us would sleep longer and wake up more rested. Don't worry about giving them "bad habits" for the future. Both of my older ones slept with me and then did different transitions to sleeping in their own beds and now, at 6 and 10, sleep in their own beds great and have for years. Do what you need to do now to get a good night's sleep.

Good night's sleep being a relative term--not in comparison to prebaby, of course.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I'm glad to heat this isn't totally abnormal. I'm not opposed to cosleeping. but I'm not sure how to do it right, there is no way to get our bed against a wall. I guess I need to add a rail? I actually have one from my 2 yr old... Husband is already sleeping downstairs. The hard thing is I can't really get a good nap on the weekends/Fridays when my 2 year old is home.

Forgot to add that I'm not sure the baby latches well in bed when I'm side lying. So I worry about that too. She has a somewhat shallow latch when I'm up and working on it, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems. (ie all day she can*nurse every 2 or 2.5 hrs just fine) My breasts also feel somewhat soft but I've heard things regulate faster with a second baby. maybe the shallow latch is causing a problem though?

20 days = three weeks = 3 week growth spurt. And night time cluster feeding IS par for that course. I would give the baby to your SO after dinner and grab a 2 hour nap and EXPECT to be up (sleepily) from 12:30 to 5:30. Don't let it shake your confidence. It's normal. But also plan for it so that it doesn't zing you so much physically. Rest during the day every time your baby sleeps. Even if you aren't actually going to sleep. Put your feet up. Lay down. Getting your 8hours in broken increments over a 24hour period of time IS an adjustment. But your chemistry changes when you become a mother. You can survive on the broken sleep. But it takes more rest. Good luck Mama. REST.

Way too lazy for formula

You might not get a good latch at night because it may not all be about eating. Part of it may be comfort from mom. It's hard, especially with 2. Does your older one nap? Have any tv time? My older is much older, 4 years difference. So if I really needed rest time I would hold the baby next to me and have the 4 year old watch a show on the other part of the couch. So we were all just lounging on the couch. Not ideal but you go into survival mode when you're exhausted.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

This is a good quick read about safe co-sleeping practices: http://babyparenting.about.com/od/sl.../a/cosleep.htm. Unless you have an unusually active 3 week old, you probably don't need to worry about adding a rail or pushing the bed against the wall right now. Just sleep with baby snuggled up against you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"