Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low supply from working out of town...

Default Low supply from working out of town...

I have been working 12 hour shifts "in-town" 2-3 days a week and 12 hours shifts out-of-town 2-3 days a week. When out of town, I do not come home between shifts. I work inbusy hospitals and don't have many chances to pump.

My supply is sooooo low. Last night at my 12 hour shift I was able to pump twice with and electric pump on both breasts and only got 2 ounces TOTAL... ALL NIGHT!

My daughter is 7 months old and we've started supplementing formula. I drink a lot of caffiene at work and usually dump any milk I pump.

My question is... How do I increase my supply? I've been taking Fenugreek consistently with no change.

Thank you for the help

Default Re: Low supply from working out of town.

The best way to increase supply is milk removal from your breasts. Can you add in some pumping sessions at work? Your milk supply is working on supply and demand. If you don't demand it, your body will think that it doesn't need to make the milk. When you're with your baby do you nurse, pump or both. It's best to always nurse when you're with your baby. They can remove milk so much more efficiently than a pump. But I would suggest increasing the number of pumping sessions at work. Good luck!!
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!

with the PP. I know it's hard to hear "jam more pumping into your already busy schedule" but that really is the best way to make more milk. Pumping just 2 times in a 12 hour period is just not enough. If you were home with your baby, she'd probably want to nurse a bare minimum of 4 times in a 12 hour period, and would probably nurse much more than that, and you probably need to try to mimic that with the pump.

This link covers increasing supply and pumping: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

Some tips:
    Nurse more
    Pump more
    Eat oatmeal
    Try fenugreek
    Stop dumping your "caffeinated" better even with caffeine your milk is better for your baby than formula
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Try adding in 1-2 pumpings while you drive with a hands-free bra It's all about supply and demand. You are also going to have to find a way to pump more often during the work day to increase demand to increase supply. It can be done, but it takes time and dedication. Then, when you are off, nurse, nurse, nurse. Keep switching sides, and watch to make sure baby is having enough wet diapers. You can rebuild your supply.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

That's rough when you don't have time to pump! I have a long class in the mornings during which I don't have the time to go pump. We get one ten minute break, so during that time I run into the bathroom and manually express for about 8 minutes. I can get anywhere from 1.5 to 3 oz! I have gotten pretty good at it now, but when I first started I didn't get much. I would try that though, you will get the hang of it.

And as a pp said, I use a hands free pumping bra on my commute. I don't know how far you drive, but I get in two 30 minute sessions per day because of this set up. I just put the bra on before I leave the house, set up the flanges and tubes and everything before I start driving, then while I am driving all I have to do is turn the pump on and I have one hand to do compressions. I am using the simple wishes bra, I like it a lot.

How much are you pumping when you are not on shift? Can you up your amount of time/ number of times after your shift? I have hand expressed when I haven't had time to get out the pump.

no need to dump your milk mama!

i drink a lot of coffee and my lo has no problems with it. it depends on your baby but as far as i know babies under 6 months are more likely to be sensitive. i was avoiding caffeine but then started introducing it and my lo showed no signs of being affected. the lc in the hospital where he was born told me not to be concerned about a cup or two.

although i dont have a book to reference right now, i believe the amount of caffeine in the milk is pretty low.