Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply

Default Supply

I'm new to this board. I just delivered 11 days ago and still bleeding. It's been less and less until today. I bleed more than usual today and my supply took a dive. Nothing has changed except for the bleeding, but my supply is almost non-existent all day. I'm trying to nurse as often as possible, but have not noticed any improvement.

Coincidence or does anyone has any ideas? Please help.

Sorry for such graphic details.

Default Re: Supply

First of all congrats on your brand new little one! And welcome to the forum!

Why do you believe your supply has "taken a dive?" Has your baby's diaper output been low?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Baby is still drinking - what little milk I have. He empties the breast pretty quickly (5 mins - less)and is feeding constantly. I'm bracing for the next few hours when he really like to nurse and wants the "full" breasts. My breast does not fill full and did not replenish themselves (feeling full) like usual. Right now my boobs feel like two limp ballons. It's been like this all day. I was able to keep up by feeding constantly, but not sure how long I can do this until the baby really gets upset.

What are his diapers like? Is he having 5-6 wet diapers a day (or 6-8 cloth diapers)? My guess would be that he's going through a growth spurt and the needing to eat frequently is completely NORMAL. And that your milk supply hasn't gone down. Don't forget that milk is produced on a supply and demand basis, and all that frequent nursing will help to bring your supply up to meet his needs. It's the number one thing we tell mamas with true low supplies to do ... NURSE, NURSE, NURSE! And it's also completely normal for babies to cluster feed in the evenings. And this happens to coincide with most babies natural fussy times, so often new moms will think it's a low milk supply thing going on when baby is constantly nursing and fussy ... but it's all totally normal and there is nothing to worry about. As long as you are seeing the wet diapers and he's gaining properly then things are looking good!

think the absolute best idea for you is contacting a La Leche League leader or lactation consultant (IBCLC) for one-on-one support. They can guide you much better than anyone can over the computer.

Is there a La Leche League Group in your area? The leaders will help you for free. Here is the link to find one:
    How to Find a La Leche League Leader Near You

Or you can find a list of International Board Certified Lactation Consultant's here.

Also, here are some other excellent information links for you to reassure you and let you know what to expect, and what is normal:

Is your milk supply really low?

Is Baby Getting Enough Milk?

Why does my baby suddenly want to nurse constantly?

Growth Spurts

Frequent Nursing

Let us know how things progress for you. Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

And regarding the bleeding ... I bled for 8 weeks after giving birth. Just when I thought it was slowing down it would come back again.

If it seems like a lot to you I would see your doctor. I did find this information regarding a low supply and bleeding connection:

"If the placenta was not able to be removed intact or if postpartum bleeding occurs for more than 6 weeks, this is a possible hinderance to a healthy milk supply. Excessive postpartum bleeding (hemorrage) has also been related to low milk supply."

So, while not likely, if you are concerned, definitely call your doctor. Also, I would most highly recommend calling your local LLL leader for help and support. They are EXCELLENT!!!

There really is not much I can add. The advice from paint-the- moon was fantastic. Have faith in your body. Many of the women here have overcome obstacles in order to nurse. Congrats on you baby and welcome to the forum. I urge you to contact your local LLL leader. Please continue to post your concerns. The moderators and members are full of information and of course support.

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

Thank you for all your support and words of encouragement.

I survived the night - wasn't as bad as I had expected. DS did nurse every hour throughout the night - most of the time one side at a time. Not sure if he was tired with sucking (and not getting a lot of milk) or he's really is full.

Wet and dirty diapers seemed normal. I'll stop by the ped's office tomorrow to have him weighed just for my peace of mind.

Also, I do have a lactation consultant I talk to weekly - provided by work - but I will also try the local LLL leader. I went on the sites Paint-the-moon possted and found a name and number of a local LLL leader. I can just call her? I'll try to join their bi-monthly meetings as well.

Thanks again for all your help.