Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Made it 1 yr & question about DQ

Talking Made it 1 yr & question about DQ

I've been breastfeeding for one year now!
    We started out with the nipple shield and had a few other issues along the way, but we are doing a lot better now. I no longer need the nipple shield, and I am finally able to enjoy our bf sessions now. My son seems to REALLY enjoy our sessions. Ha, ha. I don't think we'll be stopping anytime soon.

However, I do have DQ (de quervain's tenosynovitis) which can be really painful. It is basically a problem with my wrists. It mainly comes from carrying around a heavy baby. I now have an Ergo which I use often to carry around my baby, and we nurse laying down at night. My questions is does anyone else have DQ or even heard of it? And, are there any other measures to decrease the pain?

Default Re: Made it 1 yr & question about DQ

When I read this post, I thought you must have a question about Dairy Queen...

De Quervain's is also called "Mom's Thumb" for a reason. It's really common. I had it (though not from carrying my babies- it was from my dog pulling really hard on her leash) and over the years there have been a fair number of moms writing in on this forum about this problem. Best thing you can do for de Quervain's is to use a brace, and not to let your hands sag from your wrists when you pick up the baby or other heavy item. Try to keep your hands pointing straight out from your wrists. That will keep the tendon from being stretched out and injured.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks mommal, you always have great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kelkel01 View Post
    Thanks mommal, you always have great advice.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Hi! I too developed DQ and am happy to tell you it did resolve. I recall it started after lifting my DS up from his crib and after several months of discomfort, I finally went to an orthopedist. Very common with pregnant and nursing moms. He offered me a cortisone shot, but I opted for just a brace. It seemed to completely go away after AF returned three months ago. Altered hormones during pregnancy and nursing can aggrevate DQ.

OK, thanks. I've been nursing him laying down at night instead of sitting up in a recliner and that seems to help. I just put a mattress in the nursery and I nurse him there. It still bothers me during the day if I turn my hand or wrist the wrong way. I'm glad to know it will clear up one day. Gives me hope!

See if you can get a brace, it really helped to stabilize my wrist and I think just preventing movement that aggrevated it helped enormously. I used to get more pain at night, so I would wear the brace while sleeping.