Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Muscle Shakes

Default Muscle Shakes

My daughter is almost 12 months and I do plan on extended breast feeding, but obviously not as often since she will be starting to eat more table foods. I'm extremely skinny, I mean this girl literally sucked the life out of me lol. I used to lift weights and be very toned, and in tip top shape I would love to get back into my old body. But the thing is i do NOT gain any type of weight i have such a fast metabolism. So i've resorted to trying a powder mix to gain extra calories. I spoke to the worker there at GNC who seemed to be knowledgable(SP) on everything but I doubt on breastfeeding lol.

So my question is is GNC Pro Performance Mass XXX Ultimate Lean Mass Builder okay to drink while breast feeding? There are alot of things in it I'll post a link of what's inside and please do tell me if it's safe for my daughter. Even if one thing in it is not okay please say so, I have not started it yet.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2666690

Default Re: Muscle Shakes

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*minni3 View Post
    My daughter is almost 12 months and I do plan on extended breast feeding, but obviously not as often since she will be starting to eat more table foods. I'm extremely skinny, I mean this girl literally sucked the life out of me lol. I used to lift weights and be very toned, and in tip top shape I would love to get back into my old body. But the thing is i do NOT gain any type of weight i have such a fast metabolism. So i've resorted to trying a powder mix to gain extra calories. I spoke to the worker there at GNC who seemed to be knowledgable(SP) on everything but I doubt on breastfeeding lol.

So my question is is GNC Pro Performance Mass XXX Ultimate Lean Mass Builder okay to drink while breast feeding? There are alot of things in it I'll post a link of what's inside and please do tell me if it's safe for my daughter. Even if one thing in it is not okay please say so, I have not started it yet.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2666690
    I too am in a similar situation (except my baby's a little younger). I would say that although there may not be anything "unsafe" in this powder, it is generally better/healthier to incorporate shakes that contain whole foods. I'm in the process of putting on more weight by having shakes between meals and other snacks. At the moment, I blend together Greek yogurt, spinach, an orange, and a banana. If you like it and there are no allergies in your family, adding peanut/almond/cashew butter helps increase your calories as well. Are you currently weight training?

I have currently put on 5 lbs. since I noticed how skinny I really was. Keeping healthy snacks like almonds strategically around the house and in the baby bag has helped as well! I'm still not where I want to be, but I'm getting there. I hope you figure out what works best for you soon.
    ~Tiffany~

Truly blessed by God
    Wife to Will
    First Time Mom to C 2/18/11
    Made it 6 Mos. EBF Now enjoying BLS
    My baby is a year old now!

Default Re: Muscle Shakes

I don't see anything in here that would hurt LO, unless LO happens to be allergic to sulfa. (In that case, the "acesulfame potassium" MIGHT pose a problem; I'm not sure. You'd need to check with a doctor or pharmacist.)

But I do agree w/PP that it might be wise to try other approaches before resorting to this shake. The main ingredient in this product is maltodextrin, a form of sugar. This means that processed carbs are the main thing adding weight for you here, and the body turns carbs into fat or energy, not muscle.

Notice that the word "muscle" isn't in the title of this product; it's only cleverly referenced in the PR blurb on the webpage. In addition, despite the blurb's promise of fiber, the nutrition info states that there's not enough fiber in it to claim any significant fiber per serving. Fiber = good carbs, sugar = not-so-good carbs. This product doesn't have the type of carbs that the PR blurb claims.

Given all this, my guess is that you might be better off doing a "half-reverse Atkins." Get your proteins, like on a typical Atkins diet, but also load up on healthy carbs: whole grains, fruits, legumes, nuts, and whole-skin potatoes. (In other words, pretty much what the PP said! )

If' you've already tried all that, though, this shake might be the next logical step. Just make sure you keep your other nutrients up, too!
    Last edited by @llli*mama.jen; September 21st, 2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: ETA info that ingredients are safe for breastfeeding.
    Mama Jen

Mom to:
    Happy Toddler, 19 months, still bfeeding
    Late Son, passed at age 8, bfed 5 months
    Daughter the Elder, age 19 yrs, bfed for 22 months