Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping while feeding on demand

Default Pumping while feeding on demand

I pumped 9.5 oz today, while still feeding my DS on demand. Is that good? Am I on the right track?

Default Re: Pumping while feeding on demand

This is a tough question to answer without more information. So, some questions for you:
    1. Are you pumping in order to build a stash for a return to work?
    2. How many times did you pump in order to get that 9.5 oz?
    3. Did you pump after nursing, or instead of nursing?
    4. If you're going back to work, how soon are you going?
    5. If you are going back to work, what sort of pumping schedule will you be maintaining while you are there?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

TONS of milk there, it sounds like you have a very young baby. Congratulations, mama, and expect the volume to decrease as a normal and healthy adaptation. Mommal beat me to reply with a much more thoughtful reply, but the quote and page underneath are still helpful.

Most moms who are nursing full-time are able to pump around 1/2 to 2 ounces total (for both breasts) per pumping session. Moms who pump more milk per session may have an oversupply of milk, or may respond better than average to the pump, or may have been able to increase pump output with practice. Many moms think that they should be able to pump 4-8 ounces per pumping session, but even 4 ounces is an unusually large pumping output.

It is quite normal to need to pump 2-3 times to get enough milk for one feeding for baby (remember that the pump cannot get as much milk as a baby who nurses effectively).

Many moms are able to pump more milk per session when they are separated from baby. Milk pumped when you are nursing full-time is "extra" milk -- over and beyond what baby needs. Don't get discouraged if you are trying to build up a freezer stash when nursing full time and don't get much milk per pumping session -- this is perfectly normal and expected.

It is very common to have more milk than baby needs in the early weeks, which regulates down to baby's needs over the first few weeks or months.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

I got between 9 and 12 oz per full workday away from my LO. So you have plenty (if not too much)

Why are you pumping? I would caution you to pump as little as possible in these early days. There are a number of reasons for this, but creating over supply is a major one. Over supply is one of those things that sounds great until you have it.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Curious about this too. I'm trying to build a freezer supply but am not really sure when to pump b/c I don't want my baby to be hungry because I pumped his feeding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katebrownrn View Post
    Curious about this too. I'm trying to build a freezer supply but am not really sure when to pump b/c I don't want my baby to be hungry because I pumped his feeding.
    Best time to start pumping is usually right after the first morning feeding. That's when most moms have the most milk, so there should be more extra sitting around to pump out. Don't worry about "stealing" from your child's next meal- your baby is better qt getting milk out than the pump is, milk is always being made, and the faster it is removed, the faster it gets replaced. So even if you pump immediately before the baby nurses, he will be able to get a meal. It might come out a bit more slowly than he likes, and he might want to eat again more quickly than usual, but he will get fed.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I am pumping because I go back to work tomorrow. I am trying to add to my small stash of milk. I usually pump before or after a feeding. Mostly before a feeiding, because my pump can only get a little bit of milk out ( an ounce from each side), but my DS knows how to get the rest of the milk out.

So if you pump before a feeding, you still don't get much milk? I mean, an oz per side per pump session is good, normal yield. But if pumping before nursing doesn't get you any more milk than if you pump after nursing, you might want to try 3 things:
    1. A better pump
    2. A different fit of breast shields
    3. Pumping for longer- you may be abl to generate a second or third letdown if you keep going

Let us know how things go today!

Ok so I just pumped after the morning feed. I barely got 5cc's out of both sides. I'm starting to worry it's my pump. How would I know? I know it isn't my supply because my baby has good diapers and is growing like a weed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

what pump do you have?

Breast milk is a demand = supply thing. Most moms have issues pumping after feeding because they are making the right amount of milk for their baby rather than too much. However if you consistently pump after a particular session you will eventually build up more supply for that session. It ca take a while because pumps are not as efficient as babies so dont give the same level of demand signal.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.