Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk supply question

Question Milk supply question

My LO is 12 weeks old and has been doing beautifully breastfeeding with no bottle and only a paci in the car when needed. My boobs are very deflated feeling and only seem firm and some what full feeling during the night due to my son sleeping from 11p-5:30am. He nurses on one breast per feeding and seems very satisfied for an hour or two (I never let him go longer then 2 hours except at night). Every day around 6pm he seems to feed nonstop too. I feel like he is getting enough but in the back of my mind my floppy breasts concern me. My question is, how do you know your supply is what it should be for your baby and how do you know when their is a problem with your supply?

Thanks in advance

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Default Re: Milk supply question

I think I would start worrying if my little one started seeming unsatisfied or hungry during or right after a feed, or if weight gain slowed dramatically during the first 6 months, or if wet/dirty diapers started decreasing. If your LO is satisfied, growing and developing well, and is eliminating adequately, I would assume that your body has simply adjusted production to meet his needs.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Input = output. If your LO has enough wet and poopy diapers, you are producing enough. By this point your supply has regulated to your LO's needs so you shouldn't be feeling engorged or full. At this age they can go 3 hours between feedings. Evening cluster feeds are very common, partly because your supply is often lowest at that point. I think about it as evening cuddle time. Trust your instincts.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

From what you've said it sounds like you're doing FAB! And as your LO is now 12 wks old, floppy boobs = effective boobs! In other words, they know exactly what they're doing and who they're doing it for now.
    Diane

Mummy to Edward 24 months and still nursing and with no2 !l

Agree with all above...one thing I want to add...get ready for a growth spurt! Your LO is nearly three months, and from my experience, this is a big growth spurt that may increase feeding sessions. Sounds like to me, all is going extremely well for you and your baby!