Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: PLEASE HELP - I'm getting sooo desperate

Default PLEASE HELP - I'm getting sooo desperate

My baby is almost 17 weeks (will be 4 months on Sunday). I don't know what to do about a series of problems! This is long - sorry, I just need some help!!

1. He is teething. Already has 2 teeth on the bottom and is clearly working on more. He's beside himself although generally nice. I have been giving him acetaminophen. I have tried teething tablets. I have attempted orajel (but he won't let me put it in there AND he's too young). I have given him the wet washcloth.

2. I'm pretty sure the teething is causing him to wake up at night? And I'm not counting the times he wakes up to eat. On the most "normal" of nights, he wakes up around midnight and then at 4:30 and goes right back to sleep. However, lately, he's adding in 2 or 3 am and staying WIDE awake - it's killing me.

3. Sometimes, and especially right now, he's only eating 1 minute on either side and typically only eats from one side.

4. He's pooping - quite frequently - and they are diarrhea-esque. I believe this may be teeth related and adding to the night waking. I can't just leave him in the bed knowing he's dirty like that - especially when I've just put him down and hear him do it again.

5. My husband is now asking me if we should start solids? I screamed, "NO!" this morning. But he's not the only one (thank GOODNESS my own mom gets it as she BF all 5 of her kids).

I don't know what to do. I'm a work from home mom, so sleeping while baby sleeps is generally impossible as I have deadlines and during-the-day responsibilities that I attend to while he naps.

Please help. This is causing me to consider formula, solids, and no more babies. And I want more babies and want to BF until at least 1 year.

Please help me.
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: PLEASE HELP - I'm getting sooo despe

Well this isn't what you want to hear but your are going to need to just nurse through it. The diarrhea thing especially. As a baby that small really can get dehydrated. So if he has a touch of something and that is happening all you can do (and SHOULD DO is Nurse nurse nurse.) In terms of the the additional night wakings to nurse and them being short that is actually very normal when teething because they are in pain and the oxcytocin in your milk gives them actual pain relief. That will only be exacerbated by formula since there is no pain reliever in formula. Your best bet for at least one longer shot of time is to dose with Tylenol Right before you nurse to sleep. But seriously on the diarrhea front, maybe call in sick yourself. You don't want your baby to get dehydrated. When my LO was that young and had a bout of it, I took him to bed with me and had the nursing station on the couch re-set up.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you for responding. I can't call in sick b/c of the nature of my job - I teach online and am required to work daily no matter what. . .
    Thoughts about the 2 am 2 hour wakefulness? Thanks again for taking the time to answer...

I agree it is just a stick with it and nurse through it.. The lack of sleep is a hard thing to adjust too especially if you have to work. Waking at night is a normally thing especially if they don't feel good, growing or going through a major milestone, like crawling.. Do you co sleep? Could that help.. Also can your DH possible after you nurse him take turns at that time trying to sooth him to sleep. During the day can you babywear while you teach? I was able to nurse while wearing my little one when they got older? I don't know if this is a option for you but just throwing it out there..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

I need more info on that. Are you bringing him to bed with you to nurse and he is like up playing? Or you are nursing him and continually trying to return him to a separate sleep space and he keeps re-waking?

Way too lazy for formula

He's in a separate room. Co-sleeping really isn't a viable option for my family. I have a recliner in his room so that he gets out of the bed, nurses, and returns straight to the crib.

I forgot to say that he's also constantly dirtying his diaper at night - which makes it hard to NOT change him...

Also, during the day and sometimes at night, he's pulling to the side while he nurses. The only position that he and I both like is the cradle hold thingy...but, especially on my left side, he will latch on and then turn his head like he's trying to look behind himself - with my boob in his mouth! I don't know if he's distracted (although that's strange in the middle of the night), if he's trying to ease the pain with teeth, or if he's annoyed b/c my letdown is slower these days....

id hate to give you advice which you probably dont want to hear but like a PP i think you're going to have to just ride it out. i know with my DD when she was teething i was miserable as far as lack of sleep goes. but maybe for a time being would you be able to consider sleeping on the floor for a few days just to rough it out?

i think as far as the diarrhea goes, you're going to have to nurse him to get him hydrated but also it may be due to the fact that he's only nursing for a brief moment and only getting alot of foremilk which tends to lead to diarrhea... and then getting him to nurse longer is probably going to be a task because he's teething and probably isnt very interested in nursing! vicious circle isnt it? <- ive noticed that it tends to be that way with babies! evil babies!!

but im with you on hes too young for solids. he's only 4 months! thank goodness your mother agrees... )

and maybe... the night waking is because of developmental milestone? has he learned any new tricks lately?

regardless of all of this... know that im thinking of you and i can completely sympathize and offer you hope that it'll be over soon!!! keep us informed!
    best wishes