(Sorry this is a little long)
My LO is 12 weeks old now, she’s constantly changing the way she eats and behaves:
1) My mom is watching her during the day at work, she doesn’t always give my LO her gas drops because she just doesn’t think they’re needed maybe? I always give them to her because she’s so gassy – should I say something? Apparently my LO is overall good for my mom and sleeps well and is rarely fussy. (yesterday was a whole different story where she cried, didn’t want to sleep or eat or be put down)
2) Sometimes LO gets so gassy she just cries and cries. I have not changed my eating habits in a few months (I did cut out dairy for a while in the very beginning) and some days she’s great and then other days, I feel like a horrible mom because my daughter is in pain or uncomfortable. Is it me or is it just because sometimes she gets really gassy? Will this go away??
3) LO’s latch has gotten worse over time and I don’t know if it’s something I’m doing or if this is just a “phase” she’s going through or what. She will do a shallow latch and by the time we’re done feeding, she’s right on the nipple itself. She also will have a “smack latch” where she will just smack her lips on the breast – almost as if she’s playing. She doesn’t cry or scream at the breast currently which she did do a few weeks back.
4) With #3 said, when she eats, she latches on and off the whole time, waves her one free arm around like crazy (as if it has a mind of its own) and that causes her to un-latch even more. She also now has been rubbing her eyes and pulling on her ears because she’s so tired which again, causes her to unlatch. Needless to say as well, she won’t nurse to sleep anymore as of right now, is there something I can do to help the latching? I keep offering the breast until she just won’t take it anymore. With such a poor latch, milk seeps out of her mouth and then she gets it under her chins (yes – plural ) and then her chins/neck gets really red and starts to get a distinctive smell. I put a burp cloth right under her mouth to catch that milk but it doesn’t always seem to help and try to use a wipe to keep her clean.
5) She has recently started only eating from one breast in the wee hours of the morning and then both in the evening. I have to pump the other side, my question with this; the other side seems to produce a more white/watery looking milk than the other side. Is this normal? It also seems like it takes twice as long to “empty” that breast than the other while I’m at work and having to pump. Lefty and I are ready to go but we have to wait on Slow Poke Righty.(I have a Medela PISA)
6) This doesn’t have to do w/ nursing but my husband’s mother. Over a recent weekend, we went to visit his parents (they live about a hour and half away), his mom kept making comments about how EVERYTHING my daughter did, her daddy did when he was a baby. It was EXACTLY what he did. The way she looks is EXACTLY how her daddy looked. Because him and his sisters and my husband’s nieces and nephews liked car rides and swings, his mom is shocked to the core that my LO does NOT like them. Also, his mom seemed put out that LO cried everytime she tried to hold her and just couldn’t believe that LO was already attached to me and my husband (more me than him). I feel like his mom resents me or doesn’t like me and refuses to see any part of me in my daughter. We were there Friday-Sunday and she commented multiple times/random times during the weekend how much my daughter was just like her dad. It upsets me very much, should I say something next time and upset my husband who disagrees with my feelings or just let it go because I’m overreacting or what? His mom also I think gets upset because I leave the room to go nurse when they gave me a nursing cover at my baby shower.