Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: A Few Questions/Thoughts/Concerns…

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    130

    Default A Few Questions/Thoughts/Concerns…

    (Sorry this is a little long)
    My LO is 12 weeks old now, she’s constantly changing the way she eats and behaves:

    1) My mom is watching her during the day at work, she doesn’t always give my LO her gas drops because she just doesn’t think they’re needed maybe? I always give them to her because she’s so gassy – should I say something? Apparently my LO is overall good for my mom and sleeps well and is rarely fussy. (yesterday was a whole different story where she cried, didn’t want to sleep or eat or be put down)

    2) Sometimes LO gets so gassy she just cries and cries. I have not changed my eating habits in a few months (I did cut out dairy for a while in the very beginning) and some days she’s great and then other days, I feel like a horrible mom because my daughter is in pain or uncomfortable. Is it me or is it just because sometimes she gets really gassy? Will this go away??

    3) LO’s latch has gotten worse over time and I don’t know if it’s something I’m doing or if this is just a “phase” she’s going through or what. She will do a shallow latch and by the time we’re done feeding, she’s right on the nipple itself. She also will have a “smack latch” where she will just smack her lips on the breast – almost as if she’s playing. She doesn’t cry or scream at the breast currently which she did do a few weeks back.

    4) With #3 said, when she eats, she latches on and off the whole time, waves her one free arm around like crazy (as if it has a mind of its own) and that causes her to un-latch even more. She also now has been rubbing her eyes and pulling on her ears because she’s so tired which again, causes her to unlatch. Needless to say as well, she won’t nurse to sleep anymore as of right now, is there something I can do to help the latching? I keep offering the breast until she just won’t take it anymore. With such a poor latch, milk seeps out of her mouth and then she gets it under her chins (yes – plural ) and then her chins/neck gets really red and starts to get a distinctive smell. I put a burp cloth right under her mouth to catch that milk but it doesn’t always seem to help and try to use a wipe to keep her clean.

    5) She has recently started only eating from one breast in the wee hours of the morning and then both in the evening. I have to pump the other side, my question with this; the other side seems to produce a more white/watery looking milk than the other side. Is this normal? It also seems like it takes twice as long to “empty” that breast than the other while I’m at work and having to pump. Lefty and I are ready to go but we have to wait on Slow Poke Righty.(I have a Medela PISA)

    6) This doesn’t have to do w/ nursing but my husband’s mother. Over a recent weekend, we went to visit his parents (they live about a hour and half away), his mom kept making comments about how EVERYTHING my daughter did, her daddy did when he was a baby. It was EXACTLY what he did. The way she looks is EXACTLY how her daddy looked. Because him and his sisters and my husband’s nieces and nephews liked car rides and swings, his mom is shocked to the core that my LO does NOT like them. Also, his mom seemed put out that LO cried everytime she tried to hold her and just couldn’t believe that LO was already attached to me and my husband (more me than him). I feel like his mom resents me or doesn’t like me and refuses to see any part of me in my daughter. We were there Friday-Sunday and she commented multiple times/random times during the weekend how much my daughter was just like her dad. It upsets me very much, should I say something next time and upset my husband who disagrees with my feelings or just let it go because I’m overreacting or what? His mom also I think gets upset because I leave the room to go nurse when they gave me a nursing cover at my baby shower.
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"


    EBF 11.5 months!

    Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

    20.5"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,007

    Default Re: A Few Questions/Thoughts/Concerns…

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*miniwo View Post
    (Sorry this is a little long)
    My LO is 12 weeks old now, she’s constantly changing the way she eats and behaves:

    1) My mom is watching her during the day at work, she doesn’t always give my LO her gas drops because she just doesn’t think they’re needed maybe? I always give them to her because she’s so gassy – should I say something? Apparently my LO is overall good for my mom and sleeps well and is rarely fussy. (yesterday was a whole different story where she cried, didn’t want to sleep or eat or be put down)
    What type of gas drops are you giving her? If she's rarely fussy during the day and sleeps well she may not need them. Often babies have a fussy period during the evening. Are you sure it's gas? Is she having breastmilk during the day or formula?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*miniwo View Post
    2) Sometimes LO gets so gassy she just cries and cries. I have not changed my eating habits in a few months (I did cut out dairy for a while in the very beginning) and some days she’s great and then other days, I feel like a horrible mom because my daughter is in pain or uncomfortable. Is it me or is it just because sometimes she gets really gassy? Will this go away??
    Is it pinned gas or more of a lot of tooting and burping? How often does she poop and what does it look like? (soft, firm, playdoh-like, etc) Are you sure it's gas?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*miniwo View Post
    3) LO’s latch has gotten worse over time and I don’t know if it’s something I’m doing or if this is just a “phase” she’s going through or what. She will do a shallow latch and by the time we’re done feeding, she’s right on the nipple itself. She also will have a “smack latch” where she will just smack her lips on the breast – almost as if she’s playing. She doesn’t cry or scream at the breast currently which she did do a few weeks back.
    A good latch is very important. If you notice her slipping you may want to unlatch her and start again instead of letting her slip to the end of the nipple - this will make sure that she is transferring enough milk and that she isn't damaging your nipple Sometimes different positions encourage a better latch, try switching it up and see if she latches better. The shallow latch could be contributing to her gas.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*miniwo View Post
    4) With #3 said, when she eats, she latches on and off the whole time, waves her one free arm around like crazy (as if it has a mind of its own) and that causes her to un-latch even more. She also now has been rubbing her eyes and pulling on her ears because she’s so tired which again, causes her to unlatch. Needless to say as well, she won’t nurse to sleep anymore as of right now, is there something I can do to help the latching? I keep offering the breast until she just won’t take it anymore. With such a poor latch, milk seeps out of her mouth and then she gets it under her chins (yes – plural) and then her chins/neck gets really red and starts to get a distinctive smell. I put a burp cloth right under her mouth to catch that milk but it doesn’t always seem to help and try to use a wipe to keep her clean.
    Nursing while your baby is tired is frustrating for everyone Can you start to nurse her before she gets that tired? If you offer earlier you may avoid the overtired fussy nursing. As for the milk dripping down her chin, if you work on the latch you may be able to fix that. If not (some babies are dribblers ) just wipe her mouth with a cloth What sort of distinctive smell? Is it sour? Sweet?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*miniwo View Post
    5) She has recently started only eating from one breast in the wee hours of the morning and then both in the evening. I have to pump the other side, my question with this; the other side seems to produce a more white/watery looking milk than the other side. Is this normal? It also seems like it takes twice as long to “empty” that breast than the other while I’m at work and having to pump. Lefty and I are ready to go but we have to wait on Slow Poke Righty.(I have a Medela PISA)
    My son had a breast preference at night as well. When your baby shows preference it's normal for your breasts to make different amounts of milk to keep up with the demand of your baby. The watery milk that you are describe sounds like foremilk. It's very important for you to pump until your breast is empty and you get the fatty hindmilk. Are you timing your pumping sessions or pumping until the flow stops? It's best to pump until the flow stops so that you get the hindmilk. Sometimes that means 1 letdown, sometimes that means three. If you're using an electric pump you should pump for 30 seconds after the last drop comes out to see if there is another letdown, if you're using a manual pump you may have to judge - probable a minute? One breast may have a higher supply than the other, so it looks like the milk is watery, but it may be because it takes longer to empty, know what I mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*miniwo View Post
    6) This doesn’t have to do w/ nursing but my husband’s mother. Over a recent weekend, we went to visit his parents (they live about a hour and half away), his mom kept making comments about how EVERYTHING my daughter did, her daddy did when he was a baby. It was EXACTLY what he did. The way she looks is EXACTLY how her daddy looked. Because him and his sisters and my husband’s nieces and nephews liked car rides and swings, his mom is shocked to the core that my LO does NOT like them. Also, his mom seemed put out that LO cried everytime she tried to hold her and just couldn’t believe that LO was already attached to me and my husband (more me than him). I feel like his mom resents me or doesn’t like me and refuses to see any part of me in my daughter. We were there Friday-Sunday and she commented multiple times/random times during the weekend how much my daughter was just like her dad. It upsets me very much, should I say something next time and upset my husband who disagrees with my feelings or just let it go because I’m overreacting or what? His mom also I think gets upset because I leave the room to go nurse when they gave me a nursing cover at my baby shower.
    dealing with in-laws is tiring I would suggest that you pick your battles. Your MIL will be around for a long time and having a good relationship with her will benefit everyone. Maybe have a nice chat with her over coffee? Something that's relaxed and not in the heat of the moment - and tell her how you feel. The only kids she is use to are her own, so it's natural for her to compare yours to hers. Telling her that it upsets you may stop it - assuring her that you value her opinion and wisdom () but when she focus' on the baby being so much like her dad makes you feel like she doesn't see any of YOU in your daughter
    ~Jenn~


    mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

    Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

    ************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: A Few Questions/Thoughts/Concerns…

    [QUOTE=@llli*miniwo;1193868](Sorry this is a little long)
    My LO is 12 weeks old now, she’s constantly changing the way she eats and behaves:

    QUOTE]

    that about sums it up! Get used to the constant changes! ESPECAILLY the 1st year.That being said, if you are having latching issues, that needs to be addressed. Can you unlatch and try to get her to latch deeper? One thing I was thinking of, can you attend any local LLL meetings? You can get hands on help with the latch issues.

    When your DD is fussing and flailing and milk is coming out of her mouth...this sounds like overactive letdown maybe? Especially becasue the milk on that side seems lighter (more foremilk) then the other. Maybe try to express a but of milk on that side before you nurse her and see if that helps. You dont want to do too much though, casue that can make the situation worse!

    good luck, let us know how things are going!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

    J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

    M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

    M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

    E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK


  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    21,117

    Default Re: A Few Questions/Thoughts/Concerns…

    Great answers from the PP. I just want to add that the smell in your baby's neck is probably what we called "neck cheese"- milk or spit up would get into her chin rolls and start to spoil in there, and the moisture caused a lot of irritation. It was like diaper rash, but on her neck. A quick wipe with a wet cotton ball once a day prevented the "cheese" from becoming a problem.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,894

    Default Re: A Few Questions/Thoughts/Concerns…

    It sounds to me like oversupply and overactive letdown. That would explain the gas, the flailing at the breast and why when given pumped milk she is mostly fine.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kent, OH
    Posts
    259

    Default Re: A Few Questions/Thoughts/Concerns…

    agree w/ PP about it sounding like OS and OALD. From personal experience, I know it's hard. I usually just hand express a little bit (to soften slightly) before offering, and feed on one side only, sometimes over the course of a few feeds to esnure DD is getting plenty of the hindmilk
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: A Few Questions/Thoughts/Concerns…

    Thanks Ladies for the thoughts/answers. I started pumping a little "late" before I returned to work and then I started taking fenugreek and lactaction blend to get my supply up and I think it's doing quite well now and I was going to start slowing going off the suppliments.

    Will a baby wipe make the "spoiled milk" on the neck worse or do I need to just be using a wet rag or cotton ball?
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"


    EBF 11.5 months!

    Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

    20.5"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •