Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: do nipples need to toughen up....again?

Default do nipples need to toughen up....again?

my lo is 7 months old and got his first tooth (on the bottom) about 3 weeks ago, I haven't had any problems until last night and all day today. My left nipple is getting sore, it was sore the three times he nursed in the night, all day in the pump and again now before bed, which was the worst. they are both a little red but only the left one hurts. he is not biting me b/c i have felt that and i just took him off my breast.

do i just need to get used to this or is there anything else i can do? i am going to soak them now in warm water and put lanolin on them both after which helped me a lot in the beginning. i would appreciate any other suggestions or ideas anyone has... thanks.
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

Default Re: do nipples need to toughen up....aga

Here's a great article on different causes of nipple soreness.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/sorenipples-older.html
    Momma to DD born 4/11/09. Baby #2 expected late Feb
    Wife to DH

I found that once my daughter started getting teeth (at four months!) my nipples did get sore. One thing to consider is how your latch is looking. You may need to be vigilant about a good latch. It's odd because I always felt like her mouth was more acidic when she was teething and that always sparked up some soreness with me. It helped when I used APNO.

Additionally, no matter how great my pump was - when I was pumping at work FT my nipples were generally sore. I also had more issues with clogged ducts and whatnot. I don't know if it's time or not pumping now, but I don't feel that kind of soreness now as I did then.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

apno? btw, i've be doing a "boob dip" before and after every daytime feeding and its getting a lot better. i dip it in warm-hot salt water for about 2 minutes, air dry, feed baby, boob dip again air dry and lanolin.
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sk1718 View Post
    apno? btw, i've be doing a "boob dip" before and after every daytime feeding and its getting a lot better. i dip it in warm-hot salt water for about 2 minutes, air dry, feed baby, boob dip again air dry and lanolin.
    APNO = All-Purpose Nipple Ointment

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!