Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP! my milk supply has evaporated.

Default HELP! my milk supply has evaporated.

I think I may have created a unique situation for myself... I have a four week old infant, and have been successfully pumping 80% of her feedings since coming home from the hospital. We have been supplementing with the occasional formula bottle here and there, especially at night (for more sleep on both our parts). She is gaining weight, happy and healthy, and doing fine. However, in the last few days, my milk supply has all but disappeared. I went from pumping 5 oz every 3-4 hours to pumping less than an ounce in an entire day. My daughter hasn't suffered- we've been giving her more formula- but she is in the midst of treatment for thrush, so I am hesitant to try putting her on the breast, as my breasts are unaffected due to the pumping and not latching.

What can I do to regain my milk supply? We weren't planning on having a formula fed baby, and I don't want to give up!

The LCs I've spoken with seem to not have a lot of advice due to the strictly pumping routine I've got going on. It was working up until a few days ago. What do I do?

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

Default Re: HELP! my milk supply has evaporated

Feed, feed, and feed your baby. At the breast. All the time. And especially don't supplement at night.

You can always treat your nipples at the same time for the thrush.

This is the best advice I can give you.

And don't use your pumping amount as a measure of your milk supply.

If you feed your baby, you will make more milk. Simple as that!
    Diane

Mummy to Edward 24 months and still nursing and with no2 !l

Emptying your breasts frequently is your body's signal to make more milk. Generally Mom's who are EPing need to be pumping every time baby eats (every 2-3 hours) day and night. Your body will typically have the most production overnight and in the early mornings, supplementing at those times can really tank your supply!
    The best way to increase supply is to nurse. Is there a reason why you are pumping rather then feeding at the breast?
    There are also different herbs that can help supply (fenugreek). Oatmeal can help too but the key is emptying the breasts frequently.
    Mom to Nora 1/9/10 and Ian 8/1/11.
    Happily . Not looking forward to again when I return to work!
    Never thought I'd be nursing a toddler and a newborn!

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

how are you doing Laurensmom?
    Diane

Mummy to Edward 24 months and still nursing and with no2 !l