Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sick 11 month old

Default Sick 11 month old

Hello! So my LO is 11 months old, (and is acting more like a toddler everyday) so I was hoping it would be okay to post here instead of the infant forum.

My DD came down with a fever 2 nights ago. This is the first time she has been sick in 11 months! YAY Breastfeeding!!

Yesterday she mostly slept and nursed. But today she doesn't really want to nurse. She's more active and doesn't have a fever anymore, but she still seems to be under the weather. Sometimes she'll be playing and then just start crying (like she's hurt, I'm wondering if maybe she has a sore throat?) I'll offer to nurse and she just turns away. She'll let me hold her to comfort her, but I'm starting to get really full of milk.

Since I no longer work, and returned the rental pump I was using, I don't have an electric pump at home. I have a manual, but frankly it hurts and I've never been successful at getting much milk out with it. I hand expressed in the shower and that provided some relief.

Will this pass and she will want to nurse again soon? Should i be worried that my milk supply will diminish if she continues this way for a few days? She's still nursing at night and has been nursing a little here and there. I just don't feel like she's draining my breasts however.

Any experience and suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

TIA!!
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!

Default Re: Sick 11 month old

It does seem to be a worry for your milk supply only because when your lo wants to nurse again it might take a couple days to get it back to normal. But your milk will not dry up in one or two days. You probably should see a doctor for strep throat because it is very dangerous to go untreated. Just keep offering the breast and she will go back to taking it. And try not to let it bother you because that may make her upset. In the mean time you can try hand expressing more. Try and get a lot out and not just to relieve fullness. See if you can get it close to empty. That will help with supply. But rest assured that is takes a long time for milk to dry up. Weeks. And even if it went down tremendously it can be brought back up with a little work

What kind of hand pump do you have? It shouldn't hurt. You might want to consider buying a nicer hand pump, as they are not that expensive.

The only time Joe has ever had a "nursing strike" was when he was sick. I always had better luck getting him to nurse when he was sleepy or asleep (as you have), so try to maximize those times. You may have an easier time hand expressing after she triggers a letdown - after nursing, keep expressing to help empty the breast more. I hope she'll be nursing again tomorrow! I would definitely see a doctor - refusing to nurse can be a classic symptom of ear infection, throat issues, etc. The doctor will probably just say it's a virus and send you on your way, but if a fever goes on for more than a couple days, I always bring Joe in. They usually tell me it's no big deal, but I've also felt bad because he did have an ear infection and I waited to take him in, so now I play it safe.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Strep throat?? Gosh I hope she doesn't have that! I have a medela hand pump I got in the hospital. It just doesn't seem to get much out. She nursed overnight which is good. But she only had the fever the first day. She didnt have a fever at all yesterday. I've wondering if I should take her to the doctor. She's been acting fairly normal otherwise...
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!