Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Time to go back to work

Default Time to go back to work

I have a four month old breatfed baby boy and i have to go back to work due to finances and such. He will not take a bottle for me or any one. Dr has had me feeding him rice,oatmeal and fruits for the past 3 weeks, but LO still loves the breast. His grandma will be watching him while i am at work. But she doesn't want it to be a cry fest the whole time i am at work. Any suggestions please, I need to work and don't start for another week to two weeks. I need to get him used to not having my breast in his mouth all day. HELP please?!

Default Re: Time to go back to work

Why did your dr have you start solids at 4 months? It's not recommended for a breastfed baby until at least 6 months? Most breastfed babies will not take a bottle from mom or even when she's in the room. I suggest a few trial runs. Go out and leave grandma alone with the baby. You can also try different bottles. Some babies have a preference.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Dr i don't think is used to breastfed children. I have to the breast flow bottles and i've tried the cheap walmart bottles. That is a good idea, the test runs. Thank you.

my LO doesn't take a bottle either, no matter the nipple. However, she drinks my milk when I feed it to her with a spoon! I know it sounds like it would take a long time, but considering the slow pace of low-flow bottles, it might end up being the same. The first time I tried with the spoon she look confused and didn't want it. But as soon as she tasted the milk she took it, and started to open her mouth big asking for more!!!
    I think some people also use feeding syringes and droppers (there might be special ones).

with PP on the solids. Four months seems very early. And it seems like a lot of different solids already!
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

PS. I don't know how easy for you it is to switch doctors, but it helps to have a doctor who is familiar with breastfed children and supportive of breastfeeding. Not only because of feeding questions, but also digestive and pooping issues.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

You could also try a syringe or cup feeding. Four months is old enough for both (cup is a bit messy)... Let us know how it goes!!

Okay thank you all. He isn't taking the bottles no matter what kind of nipples even the breastflow by dr brown. Spoon feeding the milk is kinda working although he ends up wearing most of it. I start work tomorrow. I hope he does ok with out me.

My dd was also refusing bottles, well in fact she did not really understand what she had to do with them . I managed to make her accept them by first nursing and as soon as she stopped sucking fast unlatch her and offer the bottle withouth changing position and repeat the boob-bottle cycle a couple of times. At the beginning she would only take 0.5-1 oz but increased gradually and in a couple of weeks repeating this one time per day she finally accepted the bottle. I wish I never needed to give bottles to her though...