Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: silly blockfeeding question...

Default silly blockfeeding question...

i have been doing block feeding to help with my oversupply, but i always get confused about when i should start counting the hours...so i wanted to see how other people did it. for example if i nurse at 8 o'clock and then continue to nurse on that one breast until 12, do i then start counting the next four hours from 12 to 4 even if he doesn't nurse on the second breast until 1 o'clock or 2? or do i start counting the next four hours from when he starts to nurse on the second side? i hope that makes sense! thanks for any help you all have!!

Default Re: silly blockfeeding question...

Quote Originally Posted by daisy25 View Post
    i have been doing block feeding to help with my oversupply, but i always get confused about when i should start counting the hours...so i wanted to see how other people did it. for example if i nurse at 8 o'clock and then continue to nurse on that one breast until 12, do i then start counting the next four hours from 12 to 4 even if he doesn't nurse on the second breast until 1 o'clock or 2? or do i start counting the next four hours from when he starts to nurse on the second side? i hope that makes sense! thanks for any help you all have!!
    Not silly at all!

Count blocks of time. Did you start with 2 hour blocks? This is usually the recommended starting point. Anytime he wants to nurse between 8 and 10, nurse on left. Between 10 and 12 nurse on right. Between 12 and 2 nurse on left. If you have tried this for at least 4-7 days and haven't seen an improvement you can try 3 hour blocks, then 4 hour blocks. Rarely does a mom have to go up to 6 hour blocks, but some do.

HTH!

thanks for answering my question!!

i did start with 2 hour blocks, but he couldn't even empty one breast in just one feeding. he needed at least two really good feedings to empty a breast so i had sort of been watching the time and then also feeling to see if my breast was emptied... i did that for about a week and then i was still getting overly full without much improvement.

so if he fed on one breast from 8-10 and then he decided to skip that 2 hour block from 10-12 and ate at 1 oclock what would i do? he does that sometimes!

and then i have a hard time figuring out what to do at night because he'll go for longer stretches of time. so i have been mostly doing the breast that is the fullest!

thanks!

Hi...following the LLL leader's recommendations is better than what I do of course , but here is what I do: I do 2 full feedings on one side before switching. This usually is about 4 hour blocks as my DS usually eats every 2 hrs...but if he eats sooner, then I switch sooner; if he goes longer, I wait to switch (he hardly ever goes longer than 2 hrs anymore though!). This is really working for me. I was confused, like you about counting, esp if he went longer than 2 hrs or didn't feed very good on one side, then when I switched, I felt out of balance!

I think experimenting with your blocks (like LLLKate said) is a good idea until you find what works for you. Good luck!
    Jenny
    Mama to Jacob , born 6/11/06
    And his NEW baby brother , born 8/14/08

, , , cloth diapering

Quote Originally Posted by daisy25 View Post
    thanks for answering my question!!

i did start with 2 hour blocks, but he couldn't even empty one breast in just one feeding. he needed at least two really good feedings to empty a breast so i had sort of been watching the time and then also feeling to see if my breast was emptied... i did that for about a week and then i was still getting overly full without much improvement.

so if he fed on one breast from 8-10 and then he decided to skip that 2 hour block from 10-12 and ate at 1 oclock what would i do? he does that sometimes!

and then i have a hard time figuring out what to do at night because he'll go for longer stretches of time. so i have been mostly doing the breast that is the fullest!

thanks!
    You're welcome!

In the scenario you described above you could look at that as a 4 hour block of time. Feed him on the one side for any time he wants during 4 hours. Then you could use the next side at the next feeding. (1 o'clock) Make sense? The idea of block feedings is to allow the milk to build up on one side and not remove it. (other than just a little for comfort) This tells that unused side that no more milk is needed and to slow production.

You could try to keep up with the blocks of time the best you can at night. So if he nurses on the right side, for instance and then sleeps for 5 hours, when he wake up use the left side. If he then sleeps for another 5 hours and wakes to nurse go back to the right side. Each side will have had a good 5 hours of down time. This should tell those breasts to slow down!

HTH! If not, just ask more questions!

Thanks for all your help...hopefully i'll get this under control soon!

I hope so too! Keep us posted.