Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting frustrated - ready to quit!?

Default Getting frustrated - ready to quit!?

I'm getting frustrated and thinking of going to formula...I've also posted this in the Newborn Challanges forum as well - I need some help!

It feels like I'm overproducing bm - if I don't pump or get my lo to feed from the breast every couple of hours - my breasts are rock hard and I'm in a lot of pain (and I do the whole warm towel, hot shower to relieve the pain every time). I've been expressing bm and feeding in a bottle mainly bc in the first week (he's 12 days old now) he would gag and choke, bm would be all over the place every single time. Plus, whenever I fed/feed him from my breasts - he would spit up a lot more and just be more overall fussy.

I feed mostly with the bottles now but do try to nurse when I don't feel so much pain/engorged. I think that he still has days/nights confused so we are up nearly every hour between 12a-7a and I'm so tired that I give him the bottle but do try to nurse once or twice. But sometimes those nursing sessions turn out to be chaos again. Since these late nights are every hour, I'm so tired that I'll maybe skip pumping once during the night (I try to pump after every feeding) and if I skip - I'm in a world of pain.

I know that some people getting enough bm is difficult - but it seems that I have too much! And I know that bm is the best for my lo but does this mean as long as I bf I will have to continually be "emptying" out my breasts every two hours? Which equates to be tied to the pump in my case? I can't even take a nap while my lo sleeps - my breasts become so engorged within that small timeframe!!
    Help!!??
    Last edited by Jack'sMom; November 7th, 2006 at 11:19 AM.

Default Re: Getting frustrated - ready to quit!?

I responded in your other thread

The best advice I have for you for is try to get back on the breast. It will save you a ton of time and two more steps. Most Babies whose mother have OALD learn to cope w/ it. Yes there will be sputtering and possible even some frustration initially but most children work it out. How old is your child? It's completely normal for newborns to need to eat every two hours. And what your describing at night where it's every 2 hours is called "clusterfeeding" and it usually happen when a baby is having a growth spurt( 3 & 6 weeks are the 1st two) or when your baby sleeps for 3-4 hours during the day and needs to "make up for it" at night. It sound like you are making the right amount of milk for your baby. He needs to eat every two hours and your body wants to feed him that often. Try to feed him more and more at the breast. This may be difficult at 1st because he may prefer the nipple of a bottle at this point. I would go to bed w/him for 24hours and have a "nurse in" to get him back to the breast. Perhaps over the weekend when your husband could support you thru this? Just think instead of having to pump and then feed him and then clean bottles you could just feed him! It would be much less demanding. Good luck.

There is a FAQ on this site about OALD and oversupply (sorry, I don't know how to do a link). It has a lot of great suggestions for helping a baby deal with OALD and for bringing your supply down if you need to.

I agree with DJ'sMom...less pumping and more nursing should be better. For oversupply, they say you should just pump enough to relieve the pressure, otherwise you are signaling to your body to produce more. Some of the ways to help baby are to lean back or side-lying nurse...so gravity isn't making the problem worse. A "V" hold on your breast (index and middle fingers sandwiching breast behind the areola, sort of to slow the flow...there is probably a better description of this on that FAQ) has helped me. Also some mamas take the baby off when they feel let-down and let the spray go into a towel. Block feeding could help with the oversupply (that's where you feed a couple times in a row on the same breast for a set number of hours). This will give LO more hindmilk and help your body balance your supply. I really encourage you to search for the article/FAQ about this to tailor it to your needs.

You have support here to keep going...I learned a lot here when first dealing with this. I know how frustrating this can be, but things are going so much better for me and DS now.

Keep up the good work!
    Jenny
    Mama to Jacob , born 6/11/06
    And his NEW baby brother , born 8/14/08

, , , cloth diapering

Your milk supply WILL almost certainly regulate itself better in the near future. That was my experience.
    I advise you to set a goal to make it to one month and reevaluate. That may seem like an eternity right now, but it is only a speck of time in your LO's life and will have an effect on his health for his entire lifetime.
    Most of us here who made it past the first month or two of breastfeeding did not have it easy either, so please don't think you are alone. On the other hand, I think most women who weaned to formula in times of trouble really regret it now.
    Of course, only you can make the decision you feel is best. But I hope you will look for other solutions besides weaning and know that it WILL get better.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I also answered in your other thread