Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you know!?!?

Default How do you know!?!?

Silly question!! I see in lots of threads where people talk about their milk supply and the amount, in detail, such as taking a certain supplement increased their supply, or doing something decreased their supply. They seem to know in quantities what their milk supply is. How do people know?? Of course if you're mostly pumping you would know, but many of these mamas seem to be talking about directly breastfeeding. (Or maybe I am misreading) I used to EP, so I always knew what my supply was, but now that we breastfeed directly, I have no idea what it is. I assume it's just enough because I do diaper counts (they're good) and I don't get engorged except nighttime when he sleeps longer, but I wouldn't be able to tell if it changed day to day. Am I missing something?? Thanks!!

Default Re: How do you know!?!?

Unless you pump, you can't tell how many ounces you're making (even then, it's not a good measure of your real supply, because most women make less for a pump). You can only tell that your baby is getting enough, which is great! And all you really need to know!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I haven't really pumped in a year, since my son was 3 weeks old. I have no idea what he takes. Not too concerned actually. I think some people need number as reassurance.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

If you are feeding on demand, your baby has enough wet diapers, and you're not leaking through 4 shirts a day, you have a pretty perfect supply for your baby
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

That's kind of what I thought, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything! Thanks!

From what I have learned here, output is the key to input. Plenty of wets and normal poop says that plenty of the good stuff is going in the front end.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting