Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sudafed and breastfeeding

Default sudafed and breastfeeding

I am so sick! I have such bad allergies and it has caused so much nasal congestion. I tried benadryl and it just made me pass out! I have tried sprays too and salt water. I just want to know can I take real sudafed not the phenylephrine that they sell over the counter but the psuedophedrine you have to get behind th ecounter at the pharmacy. I know you usually post a site you can check with and i should have bookmarked the page. Any Suggestions?> TIA

Default Re: sudafed and breastfeeding

Pseudoephedrine is the one that's linked with lowering milk production. It affects some moms more than others though. If you have a good milk supply, you could try it out, and if you find that it lowers your supply, you can stop taking it and your supply should bounce back. But using it on a regular basis or if your milk supply is marginal is not recommended.

I'm sure some of the moms here can suggest other options.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

thanks so much, i have to much milk anyway, I will take some i just wanted to make sure it was safe for my lo. Thanks so much!!!

I've taken it, but I know a couple moms who took the extended release version and were NOT OK in that it hammered their supply for about 24 hours. So I've always avoided that kind of dose.

I'm with you..if I'm congested, I need the real deal. Wish it wasn't such a hassle to get. Hope you feel better soon.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!