Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cooking with beer

Default Cooking with beer

I put about a half of cup of beer in my meat. Is it safe to nurse?

Default Re: Cooking with beer

You could drink the beer outright. Hey, have two if you want. I would just avoid getting wasted. And really, I just say that to be politically correct. Once my daughter was about 7 months and sleeping through the night, I didn't stress alcohol.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

OK. Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    You could drink the beer outright. Hey, have two if you want. I would just avoid getting wasted. And really, I just say that to be politically correct. Once my daughter was about 7 months and sleeping through the night, I didn't stress alcohol.
    This is me too, minus the STTN. (Joe did sleep pretty well for the first four or five hours, at least ... )

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

sorry to jump in here, ive wondered about cosleeping and having a drink. i thought you werent supposed to sleep with a lo if you even had one drink. am i wrong?

Ou probably shouldn't. One drink? Don't know if I would go that far. Tipsy? I probably wouldn't.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Yeah, wouldn't cosleep with a newborn if I was tipsy, for sure. If I drank, I would try to let it wear off before falling asleep next to my baby. Don't think I would worry about one drink, myself.

I might get in trouble for saying this ... but by the time your baby is fully mobile, I don't know that the same worries would apply. Of course, I would never advocate getting trashed and cosleeping. I don't get drunk! But one or two drinks? Not sure I would worry at that age. (I should add that this might not apply to everyone - I am a really light sleeper. I wish, I wish, that a few glasses of wine made much of a difference with that, but they don't.)

ETA: Basically, use common sense.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; September 16th, 2011 at 06:55 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

My rule of thumb is that if you are alright to drive, you are alright to nurse/pump/cosleep/whatever.

Also! If you are drinking beer, try a craft brew with lots of hops for the added benefit of a supply boost. Some would say that alcohol can decrease a supply, but I have never found that to be the case.

Oh ok. That's good to know, but I don't drink. I was just using a little beer to marinate my meat.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tremom View Post
    Oh ok. That's good to know, but I don't drink. I was just using a little beer to marinate my meat.
    The alcohol would (partially) leave the meat during cooking, leaving only the flavour of the beer... After 15 minutes of cooking approximately only 45% of the alcohol remains in the dish, and the longer you cook the less alcohol remains. Pair that with the fact that you are using one cup (and not all of that is actually getting cooked with your meat), you aren't actually getting much alcohol in your system at all

ETA: the 45% after 15 minutes info was taken from here
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet