Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clogged ducts!

Default Clogged ducts!

I am producing a very large amount of breast milk...like 8-10oz every 4 hrs and my baby is only 3 weeks old. I have been trying to regulate my supply by not pumping and only offering one breast at a time. Because of my large supply I have already gotten mastitis and I keep getting clogged ducts, but only on 1 side. I am so miserable. As soon as I work out a duct, within days I seem to get another one. I am at my wits end. HELP! How can I prevent this from happening and still try to regulate my supply for what my daughter needs?

Default Re: Clogged ducts!

Try taking soy lechitin capsules daily. I take about 2 a day and haven't had a clogged duct since. You may need to take more than 2 to start with before you find what quantity works for you.

Also, someone recommended to me to cut down on saturated fats.

I was getting a lot of clogged ducts at one point, but fortunatley I was able to get the baby to suck all of them out before they turned into mastatis. Middle of the night vigorous sucking always worked!

Default Re: Clogged ducts!

I'm prone to clogged ducts, and I also had an oversupply at the beginning. First, I suggest that you try to regulate your supply by block-feeding. For me, nursing on one side at a time wasn't enough to control the OS. When you block-feed, you nurse only on one breast for a defined period of time--usually you start with a 2 or 3 hour block, and if that doesn't work you increase little by little. You can nurse as many times as the baby wants during the block, but always use the same breast. For more on block-nursing and related problems (engorgement and overactive let-down) see http://kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html. That website is full of amazing tips for all sorts of breastfeeding issues.

I second the suggestions from the PP (soy lecithin and avoiding saturated fats). I got a bad plug when I was eating too much saturated fat.

Other things:

- Avoid tight-fitting bras and tops. Make sure your bra fits you correctly. I got a plug from the elastic band in a sleep bra, so now I don't wear bras to sleep anymore. And nursing bras don't fit me well so I wear an oversized sports bra that doesn't pinch or pressure.
    - Pay attention to heavy bags, backpacks or baby carriers that might be putting pressure on part of your breasts.

I regularly check my breasts for plugs and when I feel an area that seems a little lumpy, even if it's not tender or hard, I make sure to massage it while I nurse so that the lumps go away. If you can, it's also good to vary the nursing position so your LO empties all sides of the breast well.

Good luck! Those of us who are prone to clogged ducts need to be vigilant at all times.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one