Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: green poops, OS/OALD and pumping

Default green poops, OS/OALD and pumping

So I know I have an oversupply issue and OALD; when lil J (3 months old now) is nursing we are doing well with that... well... I work full time so he gets a bottle of EBM all day; will nurse a few times once I am home.

so our issue is that he can go for at least a week without a stool; the issue is the stools are very large- they do fill one diaper- they are dark green, "smoothie" appearance and are REALLY smelly. he has horrible smelly gas throughout the day/week; tummy is soft; gets cranky towards the end of the day and sometimes when he has to toot; but overall is a really happy lil guy...

so I need some suggestions as to how I should pump or manage my milk.

currently I am pumping anywhere from 3-5 times a day- work dependent.

J typically is sleeping through the night so I am not getting up to pump anymore- momma needs some sleep!
    so I pump in the am about 05/0530-- will get about 16 oz (8 on each side)
    get to work- depending on the week- I will pump about 08/0930, then again over lunch 12/1230; and then I try and get an afternoon session in about 4/430.
    then get home and lil J will nurse 1-2 times prior to bed-- i do one sided nursing.

I typically send him to daycare with the milk that I pump in the am-- he taks 16 oz there right now. so I'm thinking that he is just getting too much foremilk...

the milk i pump at work the first 2 sessions are put in bags and frozen when i get home- the last session- usually left in the bottles - I will bag it up at home and freeze it - unless I know we are going to need a bottle...

suggestions?? should I keep the milk from the day when I am pumping more and mix it with the am milk that would have more foremilk??

not sure how to handle the imbalance -- with the pumping.. I just want my poor baby to have better poops-- he was having yellow seedy bms until I started back to work-- he also does have Reflux- diagnosed by ENT- is on Zantac 3 times a day as well..
    WOW- that was long! sorry!
    Sara
    Momma to JACKSON 12-17-09 and JACOB 06-14-11

Default Re: green poops, OS/OALD and pumping

Mix your bottles and bags from the whole day if you can. That more evenly distributes the fats. When I don't do that, my baby gets some odd looking and somewhat stinky stools.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Why do you do the morning pump? If I understand what you are producing, you are pumping way more than your LO is producing. Does your LO nurse before you go to work?
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scienceteachermommy View Post
    Why do you do the morning pump? If I understand what you are producing, you are pumping way more than your LO is producing. Does your LO nurse before you go to work?
    he last nurses anywhere between 6 and 10 pm-- so I am a little full in the am now without pumping during the night-- I usually don't feed him in the am-- he is usually sleeping- we get the boys ready and head straight out the door.

i'm scared to cut out a pumping session..I figured I would need to combine all the milk and then put it in bags-- or bottles for the next work day....
    Sara
    Momma to JACKSON 12-17-09 and JACOB 06-14-11