Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tongue Tie/Lazy Nurser?

Default Tongue Tie/Lazy Nurser?

I need help for a friend you guys. My best friend from HS just had her second baby. She nursed her first most of the way through the pregnancy and has an abundant supply- had oversupply most of the time she was nursing him. Her daughter is a little over a month old now, had a frenectomy on Aug 29 and still is having a hard time nursing. Baby was not gaining before the frenectomy, she is gaining now, but mainly because at this point she's mostly pumping/bottle feeding. They're already seeing an LC, but running out of ideas and getting desperate to get baby back to the breast. Here's the latest email she sent me.

Blech. She's gaining weight at least--12 oz in a week. Mostly by bottle. Maybe she gets 2-4 oz off me a day--though I try nursing her every feeding. I thought they were getting better--she had a couple of feedings where she didn't take a bottle or took less than 3 oz. and then she went back to doing what she had been doing a week ago--right when we were about to try to have her start nursing in both sides. So now she latches on and sucks three times and falls asleep. Sometimes i can get her to swallow if i do lots of compressions and try to wake her up the whole time. But that only lasts for about 3 minutes. Then we give her a bottle and she is wide awake. I'm so totally freaked out by this.

I don't get how she can latch and mostly nurse sometimes (even if slowly and only for a short while) and other times she just latches and falls asleep. I think she's started associating the boob with sleeping--the only time she roots now is when she wants to sleep. She also has to be wide awake and I have to have not pumped in a while for her to actually get anything. Except she is so damn sleepy sometimes. She needs the milk to be readily accessible. Even pumping to get a let down or using the Sns doesn't help then--she still just conks out. And it's not my supply cause I'm pumping 25 oz a day and even after she conks out I can go pump 3 oz.

It's driving me nuts because it's nothing obvious and every single thing that should make it easy for her to breastfeed she has going for her. She even latches well. I have plenty of milk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: Tongue Tie/Lazy Nurser?

What kind of bottle is she using? I'm thinking the milk comes out of the bottle pretty easily, which keeps baby awake, but it's not like that out of the breast.

Kellymom has a section on getting baby back to the breast...
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Breastflow bottles are helping me transition my son back to the breast. My sister's baby has a tongue tie and she uses a nipple sheild.
    Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13

She says the latch is good, so I don't think she needs a nipple shield. I'll ask her what kind of bottles she's using and suggest the breastflow ones. She's all over kellymom so I'm sure she's seen what's there. At what point would someone know it was safe to stop offering the bottle? I thought about suggesting that, but wasn't sure with the weight loss concerns. I supposed the LC would know if it was safe to try that.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My LC told me to ditch the bottles pretty early on, and D wasn't gaining that well. It might be a little traumatic and she'll definitely feel like she's starving her baby but it might be the only way if everything else is okay. And of course all the skin to skin she can muster. I will say with both of mine there was that aha moment for them. D had his tongue clipped right away and it took him 3 weeks to latch.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I passed that along to her Kim. I feel so bad for her, she had a pretty easy time with her son, so this is kind of unexpected. Well she had intolerance/allergy issues with him so not entirely easy, but we were both hoping it would go better this time.

It just struck me, she lives in Brooklyn so you live closer to her than I do and she's going through me to get encouragement from you. ain't the internet grand?
    --Anonymous

Haha. It's always a funny circle. There is an amazing LC in brooklyn. She helps all the Orthodox Jews. She's been written up in the NY Times and I've seen her interviewed. Really knowledgable woman. She probably costs a fortune, but I can try and find her name. Otherwise, my LC is also an RN, so she takes insurance. I'm only about 20 minutes outside Brooklyn. Might be worth a call. I'm available for support too if you want to give her my email. I think I have it listed in Facebook.

hehe that's the LC she's using, she sent me the link to the NYT article last week. I'll pass along your email to her.
    --Anonymous

Anyone hearing "it's a small world afterall..." in their head?

Sometimes the nipple shield will make baby think she's latching to a bottle and keep baby sucking longer, but you run the risk of altering a good latch.

That IS a small world!

I'd ditch the bottle and feed baby another way. Like with a syringe. No pacifiers either.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!