Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Air Travel and pumping

Default Air Travel and pumping

Looking for any advice or tips...
    will be traveling without kids but lil J is only 3 months old and we aren't going to stop pumping yet...

we are leaving Friday late morning and heading to Colorado - have a 3 hour layover on the way there will be out there til MOnday-- found a lady to take my milk while I am there... then a short layover on the way home..

what do I need-- where should or how should I pack?! I don't have a prob PIP-- haha I just did it at a wedding! have a simple wishes and a PISA.

all help/tips are appreciated!!
    Sara
    Momma to JACKSON 12-17-09 and JACOB 06-14-11

Default Re: Air Travel and pumping

Take whatever you usually use while pumping and make sure you have enough for the number of days you'll be gone.

Katia traveled and pumped. She might have some tips, but she's super busy with school.

I think the PIP on a plane would be awkward. Trying to hook up with a total stranger next to you A nursing cover would be useful. And it would probably be easier to do this without kids...otherwise you're juggling kids and pump. I'd probably not pump on the plane but find somewhere comfortable to pump during the layover.

I pumped in the middle of the cafeteria of the Baltimore Children's museum one day. NIP is so, so much easier.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have a friend who pumped on the plane- she was EPing due to a non-latching baby. She said the following were helpful-
    - sitting in the window seat, with her DH in the aisle seat
    - using a very large nursing cover (she sewed a really big poncho)

Is there a reason why you absolutely can't bring the baby? A 3 month-old is a "lap baby" and flies for free. And if the baby is nursing, I think it's almost always easier to bring the baby than to fool with the pump and the cooler and milk shipping, etc.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We decided not to take the kids on the trip for easy of traveling and we will be at a wedding- and of course grandma and grandpa couldn't be happier watching them...
    I originally thought we would just bring the lil one.. but we aren't now..

The flight isn't very long so - I wasn't planning on pumping ON the plane.. but now that I think about it it would be pretty funny! Hubby would die! haha!
    Sara
    Momma to JACKSON 12-17-09 and JACOB 06-14-11