Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Plan B pill and bf

Default Plan B pill and bf

Has anyone ever taken the plan b (morning after) pill while bf? Doc and pharmacist say different things. Wondering from personal experience. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Plan B pill and bf

I recommend you call InfantRisk and discuss it with them.

I'm not an expert, but I know the Plan B pill has more estrogen than regular combination BC pills, which can reduce your milk supply considerably, so I would imagine that Plan B could have an even more negative effect on milk supply. On the other hand, pregnancy would also reduce your supply. I would call the hotline at InfantRisk and talk it through with them.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Another possible Plan B could be adoption. There are always more parents waiting to adopt than there are babies to be adopted.

Not sure if the pill was taken yet or not, but just wanted to send some encouraging and loving thoughts your way.

plan b is okay -- like JoesMom said, it could decrease your supply for a couple of days, but as long as you keep nursing on demand, your supply will come right back up. Not telling you to do it or not, just what i've heard through my own experience. Good luck, Mama.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kelkel01 View Post
    Another possible Plan B could be adoption. There are always more parents waiting to adopt than there are babies to be adopted.

Not sure if the pill was taken yet or not, but just wanted to send some encouraging and loving thoughts your way.
    I don't think the OP was asking for advice on what to do with a potential pregnancy, I think she was asking whether the chemicals in the pill would be problematic to her nursing baby. I don't see how this is 'encouraging or loving'

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    plan b is okay -- like JoesMom said, it could decrease your supply for a couple of days, but as long as you keep nursing on demand, your supply will come right back up. Not telling you to do it or not, just what i've heard through my own experience. Good luck, Mama.
    It would destroy your supply for a few days until the hormones clear your system -- and unfortunately expose your current nursling to those hormones, which is why it might be a good idea to call InfantRisk to find out what exactly, if any, risk there is in that -- but it will come back if you keep applying demand to it. A pregnancy has an 80% or more chance of totally destroying your supply starting around 5-8 weeks with most moms drying up around 20 weeks. Some babies will keep nursing, some won't. Good luck mama!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

How are things going today? A thought that came to mind is to pump like crazy to have a stash, in case the pill gives you a dip for a few days.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    How are things going today? A thought that came to mind is to pump like crazy to have a stash, in case the pill gives you a dip for a few days.
    definitely a good idea!

Hale says that "this progestin is unlikely to bother a breastfed infant or alter milk production in general."

It also says that the peak concentration in milk is 2-4 hours after taking the dose, and for high doses (the amount in the study cited was 1.5 mg), it recommends waiting 8 hours after the dose before nursing again.

So if the risk changes with the amount you take, maybe that's contributing to the disagreement between your doctor and pharmacist. The InfantRisk Center is run by the authority on medications and breastfeeding; calling them is a great idea. 806-352-2519, M-F from 8am-5pm CST.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--