Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Donating blood while BFing

Default Donating blood while BFing

We are having a blood drive here at school. Has anyone given blood while breastfeeding? Both kellymom and LLL sources are not definite one way or the other. My LO is 7 months old and I have a well established supply. I will also try to get them to use the non-baby carrying arm.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Default Re: Donating blood while BFing

I didn't donate blood in the first year, but after that I did. That was easier because at that point, being pump weaned, I wasn't losing as much in terms of fluids and calories to breastmilk all day. There's no prohibition on donating blood while breastfeeding, but if you do, DRINK A TON OF WATER and eat really heartily before hand. When I give a pint of blood, I feel pretty darn weak and tired afterwards. There's no way I would do it with a newborn (I had anemia after Joe was born, too, so NO WAY), but with a toddler has been no problem.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I have donated blood several times while I have been nursing. I have never had any ill effects but I am a bit on the larger size and have never been anemic. I agree with PP that you will want to take care to eat and drink enough if you are going to.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

I donated blood for the first time while I was nursing ds1. I do not remember how old he was, not a newborn for sure. The only problem I had was that they bruised my arm and it was very sore so nursing in our favorite craddle hold hurt pretty badly.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

I've donated once or twice since DS was born (he's 20 months now.) However, the last time I tried, it was summer and hot. I'd had a lot of liquids, but turned out to be pretty dehydrated. They couldn't get a donation. And since I hated to give up, my arm got pretty beat up in attempts. Since then, I've kind of felt like it's smarter not to try until DS is nursing a litte less.