Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I have no idea what is wrong - Help?

Question I have no idea what is wrong - Help?

Hi ladies. My son is now 3 months old and has been exclusively BF without bottles since he was born. His frist bottle was about 2 weeks ago and everything was fine (went back to work). He just started daycare Tuesday of this week as I was lucky enough to have family stay to care for him these last two weeks. So far daycare has been great.

As of Wednesday (day 2 of daycare) when he got home he would fuss at the breast. I thought maybe he wasn't hungry or perhaps needed to burp. Well, when it came time to go to sleep he was fine. We layed down (co-sleepers) and he nursed to sleep, nursed at night and all was well. Woke up in the AM, got him ready to go and he wouldn't nurse before leaving (but he would always nurse at that time before).

Today same situation, no nursing in AM and screaming and crying at the breast. It's giving me a complex. I know it is just three days of daycare but could he get a preference for a bottle this late in the game and after just a few days? Or could his times for eating have changed and I'm being dumb? I am really just looking for some support out there as I didn't breastfeed my first son (pumped 6 months with formula supplementation) and I really wanted this BF relationship to last however long we both want it to...but for sure a year. Now I wonder if something could be up that might not let it happen.

P.S. Diapers are fine, growth is fine, I am fine, he is fine all is well. Sometimes I do have an OALD and he will pop on and off the breast but I have learned how to deal with that so I don't think it has something to do with it.

P.P.S. Sorry so long
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/

Default Re: I have no idea what is wrong - Help?

When I had my son in DC his schedule went all kinds of wonky. It's a big change in their little mama and me world. It took a good while for us to fall into a new normal. I don't think I'd be too worried as long as he's eating enough in a 24 hour period. How often is he eating mama?
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Well he eats 10-12 oz at DC in a 8 hour period. He nurses between 5-10 times from me all the other times. Last night he wanted to nurse at least 6 times. This was throughout the night after we went to bed. I only say at least 6 times because we co-sleep and it's hard for me to count but it was definately more than normal. He dream feeds so never truly wakes up. This is all so weird! I just thought I got the hang of everything and could predict his schedule, guess I was wrong!
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nicque.ashby View Post
    Well he eats 10-12 oz at DC in a 8 hour period. He nurses between 5-10 times from me all the other times. Last night he wanted to nurse at least 6 times. This was throughout the night after we went to bed. I only say at least 6 times because we co-sleep and it's hard for me to count but it was definately more than normal. He dream feeds so never truly wakes up. This is all so weird! I just thought I got the hang of everything and could predict his schedule, guess I was wrong!
    If there's one thing you can hang your hat on, it's that as soon as you know the score with your baby, they will change it up on you It really does sound to me like baby is eating really well and since you said he has great diaper output, I wouldn't worry mama. :vibes
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zplum View Post
    If there's one thing you can hang your hat on, it's that as soon as you know the score with your baby, they will change it up on you It really does sound to me like baby is eating really well and since you said he has great diaper output, I wouldn't worry mama. :vibes
    Sadly, so true! I know that when i went back to work and had to disrupt DS' typical routine, he got all mixed up for a while... just try to go with the flow, it really will continue to change until he weans, Mama! If he seems generally happy and satisfied, that's what really matters. Good luck!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it