Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pregnant and nursing 15 month old

Default Pregnant and nursing 15 month old

I just took two tests and they both came out positive. No wonder I've been sore! I have an appointment at the pregnancy center for Wednesday to comfirm it.

Any ideas as to how to nurse during at least part of this pregnancy without being extremely sore? Do creams do anything?

Default Re: Pregnant and nursing 15 month old

Wow, congratulations! I can't believe I guessed right yesterday!

I don't know any tricks for minimizing the pregnancy-related nipple soreness. Hopefully someone here will have some tips or at least BTDT encouragement for you.

Many women continue nursing their toddlers through a pregnancy -- some kids will wean partway through, as the milk changes. Some moms choose to wean because of issues with soreness, or fatigue. Look around for links on nursing while pregnant, and you might want to check out _Adventures in Tandem Nursing_ by Hillary Flowers, to explore that whole concept.

Here's a to a very happy and healthy 9 months!

--Rebecca

Congratulations!

From what I've been told, there isn't much you can do about the soreness, except try to get comfortable and make sure your dc's latch is good. I was sore at the very beginning of my pg, but I think it was actually due to the start of thrush. I put on some anti-fungal cream, and it stopped. I've been very fortunate since then, and didn't develop any soreness during this pregnancy at all.... but I think it's more common to experience the soreness.

Hillary Flower's book is excellent, and there is also a "Tandem Nursing" thread here about nursing through pregnancy.

I, too, experienced nipple soreness when nursing my son while pregnant. I decided to wean him from the bedtime nursing because it was the longest and most painful. It would take an hour to get him to nurse to sleep at night, but naps took only 5-10 minutes. It was much easier to deal with when sore. We were able to find a compromise that worked for us to balance my soreness with his need to nurse. The soreness may or may not pass. The previous poster mentioned a book that deals with many of the issues that arise when nursing while pregnant. It can also help you decide if tandem nursing is for you or not. This book was a lifesaver for the many questions I had last time. Now I am nursing and pregnant again, but no problems with soreness this time, thankfully.
    Last edited by LLLTanya; February 24th, 2006 at 05:35 PM.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

Congrats! What a blessing! Brittan