Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm nearing the end

Default I think I'm nearing the end

I have been reading the posts for weeks but this is my first time to post.

Background info: My daughter is 7 weeks and I have had constant trouble with breastfeeding. I started with a bad latch and waited almost three weeks to get it fixed. I should have gone to see a lactation consultant from the start but thought it was just normal pain for a first time mom. It wasn't until I developed large blisters that I thought something was wrong. At three weeks I went to see a lactation consultant who corrected my latch problem, however things have not really improved. The pain level has decreased but is far from comfortable. I have been back to the lactation consultant twice and have spoken with a second LC and the local LLL but so far no relief.

Currently the blisters are slowly healing but I have constant pain after I nurse. The LC has checked for blanching and vasospasm but has ruled it out. Breastfeeding is something that I really wanted to do but it's to the point now that I don't think I can do it much longer. I thought things would be better by now but so far it doesn't seem like there is any end in sight.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tiffany

Default Re: I think I'm nearing the end

Hi Tiffany, Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure I can offer you any new advice but I can offer you sympathy. It took my daughter 2 months to even latch poorly and then another 2 months to get it right. Stick it out, it does get better and keep in contact with the Lactation Consultant and the LLL group. Good Luck!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I remember being very discouraged around that same time. For some reason, 6 weeks is the magic number that sticks in our minds and it's hard when everything isn't going wonderfully at that time. It took until 3 months for us to begin to get things down. We've been at it for 9 months now and I am SO thankful we stuck it out! It does get easier and the pain does get better. Keep looking for help and take it one day at a time.

I'm sorry you are having such pain with breastfeeding. It can be very discouraging when nothing you try seems to fix the problem. I'd also encourage you to try to hang in there a little longer. It took us until about 11 or 12 weeks before it really became easy. But after that--no problem! You say you are feeling a little bit better in terms of the pain, correct? It could be that your nipples are just taking some time to heal? You said you have pain after the feedings--could you describe the pain (i.e. burning, aching, etc.)? Do you also have pain during feedings? Keep in contact with the LC. Sometimes it can take a few consults to really figure everything out.

Sometimes when moms are really feeling discouraged and like they can't go on much longer, it helps them to set really short-term goals for themselves (like "I'm going to stick with it at least one more week (or two days )"), and then reevaluate at the end of that time and maybe set another short term goal. Sometimes that can help with constant "I don't know how much longer I can do this?!?" stream of thoughts going through your head.

Please keep posting, and we'll try to help you get to pain free nursing!

Can you describe the pain after your feedings. What do your nipples look like? Are they red or shiny? Is there any pain inside your breasts?

I can empathize with what you are going through. I had to pump and bottle feed for 8 weeks because my daughter chewed the ends of my nipples off even through the nipple shield. Plus I've been battling mastitis and thrush ever since. The only thing that keeps me going is the thought of having to mix and heat up bottles in the middle of the night!

Keep reaching out for support.
    V

Thanks for all your tips. Just knowing that a couple more weeks may yield results is encouraging.

The pain that I have is a pinching sensation. It typically begins towards the end of nursing and lasts for about an hour afterwards. I've tried relatching to see it that corrects the problem but it doesn't seem to help. In addition to the pinching I have a dull ache that usually comes and goes. It feels like my breasts are bruised on the inside. Has anyone had this happen or know what might be causing it?

Thanks again for the advice.

it took my son 5 months to lacth correctly. I pumped until then.

Quote Originally Posted by gradmom View Post
    Thanks for all your tips. Just knowing that a couple more weeks may yield results is encouraging.

The pain that I have is a pinching sensation. It typically begins towards the end of nursing and lasts for about an hour afterwards. I've tried relatching to see it that corrects the problem but it doesn't seem to help. In addition to the pinching I have a dull ache that usually comes and goes. It feels like my breasts are bruised on the inside. Has anyone had this happen or know what might be causing it?

Did you have flat or inverted nipples before starting to BF? I recall a post in another thread recently which suggested that some women have tighter than normal connective tissue behind the nipple. When the baby nurses the nipple is pulled far back in the mouth, stretching this tissue. It was suggested that this could result in bruising/pain in the breast and nipple. If that is the case, it should slowly get better the longer you nurse.

The pain you are feeling could also be referred pain from your still healing nipples. In that case, as long as the latch is correct and your nipples continue to heal, it should again get increasingly better.

You mentioned that it starts to hurt toward the end of a feeding. Can you tell if this is after active sucking has stopped and gone more to comfort sucking? This happened with my DS. His suck changed a bit when he was no longer taking in much milk, and I found that more painful. Also, nursing tends to be more comfortable when the milk is flowing, so it could just be that you feel more pain when the flow has slowed down.

You are doing a great job hanging in there! If the pain does not gradually get better--get back to that LC or contact a local LLL leader! Getting in touch with a local LLL group can be great support to get through those early months, whether or not you have serious problems. Being a new mom can feel very isolating at times, and it always seems better when you know you aren't alone.

Quote Originally Posted by gradmom View Post

Okay so it sounds to me that you might have thrush. Are your nipples red? If the dull aching is on the inside then it might be systemic as well as.

Here's what it says in the resources
    Persistent nipple pain in the early weeks of breastfeeding, or nipple pain that appears after several weeks or months of pain-free nursing, may be caused by thrush which is a yeast infection of the nipples. Additional symptoms can include

Itchy or burning nipples that appear pink or red, shiny, flaky, and/or have a rash with tiny blisters.
    Cracked nipples.
    Shooting pains in the breast during or after feedings.
    Intense nipple or breast pain that is not improved with better latch-on and positioning.
    Deep breast pain.
    You may be at higher risk for developing thrush if you or your baby has had a recent course of antibiotics, your nipples are cracked or damaged or you are taking oral contraceptives or steroids (such as for asthma).

Hmm hope that isn't it.

That pinching sensation is often the result of a latch that is (or that becomes) too shallow. If the nipple is not kept far enough back in the baby's mouth, then her hard palate will compress the tip of the nipple instead of the base, and that will feel like a pinch (ouch!)

After a feeding, when your nipple comes out of the baby's mouth, what does the nipple look like? How is it shaped? If there is a ridge, or if it has "corners" or is shaped like a new tube of lipstick, those are all signs of a shallow, pinchy latch. Ideally, the nipple will come out after a feeding with the same shape it went into the mouth with.

I'm sure you are frustrated and in a lot of pain, and I'm so impressed with your persistence and your efforts to find help. Hang in there and we'll try to connect you with the resources and information you need to fix this.