Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: more milk please!!!

Smile more milk please!!!

my DD is 4 m she weight 6.9oz at birth and now 13.14, I only BF everything is fine , BUT, she start sleeping thru the night, 8.30 to 5 , and I think my milk production is slow down, and I don't think she appreciate that !!!
    I woult like to increase my milk production and possibly have a little supply for the emergency :like last night :BF at six then fussy at 8 so BF again, bath and bottle with 3.5oz before bed .
    I do pump before to go to bed and last night I woke up at 330 to pump...I usually am able to pump 3.5oz in two days but lately seem very very difficult to do so.
    My intention is to BF her until 6month and then introcuce food.
    my questions is when is the best time to pump?I am not working so I have all the time but my breast seems empty ....
    ( sorry for my broken english... is not my first language)
    I appraciate all the input...

Default Re: more milk please!!!

I am going through something very similar. My baby is 3 months though and will be 3 months on the 17th. She weighed 6lbs 14oz when born and is now about 11.14. I feel likshe isn't gaining enough weight fast enough so I am worried. I have been supplementing with bottle, formula and pumped breast milk. I would love to know how to increase my milk supply so I can exclusively breastfeed. I have been doing BF, pump and formula for 3 months and I'm beginning to lose my mind.

Not to worry, your English is fine!

Once your baby starts to sleep through the night, it is very common for production to slow down during the nighttime hours. Your body has a very sensitive internal clock which allows it to make the right amount of milk for the right time of day. During the day, the baby nurses a lot, and therefore she trains your body to provide a lot of milk during the day. But at night, when she sleeps instead of nursing, your body gets the message that the milk isn't needed and it reduces production. This does not mean that your supply is not enough for your baby.

Are you staying home with your baby, or are you working outside the home? The answer to this question helps us determine the best advice to give you about pumping, and about how much you need to worry about this new situation.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks for your replay and for aaustin hang in there .... we will succeed!!!
    I am at home 24/7 !!!and I am ready to do anything for keep BF ...
    thank you soo much
    Ciao

Since you're staying home with your baby, I wouldn't worry much about this situation. As long as you nurse on demand, you will have plenty of milk for your child.

Having a supply of milk for emergencies can be nice, but it can also sabotage you. When you can measure the amount of milk you pump out, that can make you wonder if you're producing enough. When you pump, you can get into situations where you end up choosing to build up your reserve of expressed milk rather than nursing. And when you have a reserve of expressed milk, you can end up offering a bottle when what you really should do is nurse.

If I were in your situation, I would take the bottles away for a while and just nurse, nurse, nurse, and nurse some more. If you truly feel the need to build a stash of expressed milk, choose a single time of day to pump, and pump consistently every day. Most moms who take this route choose to pump in the morning after their baby nurses for the first time, since thatis often when a mom has the most extra milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Thanks ... I will do 'what you have suggested to me' because I want my flow to remains consistent. my concern is 'that the milk is not enough in the evening because my DD is shown not to be happy with the last evening meal, and I have to give her the bottle with pumped milk in the morning ......ios this make sense to you? do you think that she does not get any or less milk at that time?she eat every tree h during the day and some time i dont feel my breast full at all.....
    thanks again...

Many moms feel that their supply is at the lowest point in the evening. It is normal. Evening is when many moms think they must supplement with formula or with pumped milk. But they don't have to! Even when a mom feels like her breasts are empty, there is milk in them and the baby can get it out if she works at it. It might come out a little more slowly than she likes, especially when she is already fussy, but the milk is there.

After you have been nursing for a while, it is normal to feel empty almost all the time. You only feel full when you have excess milk. When your supply is well-matched to demand, you will not feel full.