Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New at Solids

Default New at Solids

My 6.5 month old just started solids last Friday. He has had a little bit of banana on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday. I was probably not mushing it up enough at first (because I was hoping he would play with it more and not worry about eating it as much), but yesterday I made it a lot more "water-y" and it worked better. Still though, after about 5 teeny spoonfuls, he then didn't want the spoon in his mouth.

I really don't want to push solids too hard, but I do want him to start eating them. I'm just generally scared and sad about the whole thing.

I don't want to give any solids to the daycare yet, because I feel that DS is not sure about swallowing yet. When I feel comfortable with it, how do you recommend I do it? Just put a little bit in a small container and also bring a spoon?

Should I tell them when he should eat it, or just let them determine the schedule? I don't know how the schedule should really be, since I'm at work during the week days. Do I just pick a random time in the middle of the day, after a bottle?

Is it okay for him to have the same solid food every day, or should I be "balancing his diet" more (after, or course, we deem there are no allergies)?

This is kind of stressing me out!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex, born 2/27/11

Default Re: New at Solids

It's okay for him not to be super interested in solids -- they're really just about introducing/playing until a year. Let him take the lead and tell you when he wants to eat - maybe let him use his hands rather than trying to spoon feed him, then you'll know that he's interested and you're not forcing. You don't need to worry about balancing a diet right now. Your milk should be his primary source of nutrition til a year (at least). I would wait on daycare until you see a defnite interest from him with solids - there's no rush!! Another first that my DS liked was avocado - just make sure you're waiting three or four days between introducing a new food, and make sure you always offer your breast before feeding solids. Good luck Mama - don't stress too much, it's very early and if you let him lead the way (lots of threads about baby led solids/weaning on here!) it'll be even easier. Good luck!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Thanks. I had some reading about BLS and was totally excited to let him play. So I started by giving him a small piece of banana... and he shoved the whole thing into his mouth, which made me freak out because I thought he would choke. So then we did much smaller, mushy chunks... and he had fun smearing it all over the tray and his body. He was gagging a little though, so I'm thinking maybe I should use a spoon until he understands swallowing more?

I'm planning to try sweet potatoes next and then avacado.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex, born 2/27/11

Gagging is not necessarily bad. The gag reflex keeps us from choking. If he can breathe he gagging, rather than choking. Bigger pieces rather than smaller ones tend to be better to prevent choking. I would wait until your LO is really eating 3 meals a day to worry about DC. Each DC has its own way of doing solids. My DS1 would not eat baby food so they just gave him the regular food that the older babies were eating. (They also would have their lunch when he was napping because he would always want to "share.")
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scienceteachermommy View Post
    Gagging is not necessarily bad. The gag reflex keeps us from choking. If he can breathe he gagging, rather than choking. Bigger pieces rather than smaller ones tend to be better to prevent choking. I would wait until your LO is really eating 3 meals a day to worry about DC. Each DC has its own way of doing solids. My DS1 would not eat baby food so they just gave him the regular food that the older babies were eating. (They also would have their lunch when he was napping because he would always want to "share.")
    Gagging is not the same as choking. It is also a normal part of learning how to eat, just like falling down is part of learning to walk. As they learn how much food to put in their mouth and how to chew, move it around, etc... the gagging lessens. To help him, give only tiny amounts at a time and avoid sticky foods. It is also going to take time. My DD didn't really get interested in solids until she was about 9 months old.