Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby gags himself with fingers

Question Baby gags himself with fingers

My 11 month old keeps putting his fingers in his mouth to the point of gagging. I am not sure why he is doing this or how to stop it. If he does this at the dinner table, then we go ahead and end his dinner. Sometimes he does it when he is just walking around the house. This usually happens during or after meals.

His weight and diapers seem normal.

Any advice or has anyone experienced this?

Default Re: Baby gags himself with fingers

Is he teething? My lol does this too and it seems to happen before she cuts a tooth (or three) I have not had any success stopping it, it seems to just go away with time. Then come back again... (shes been doing it again the last couple days)
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

I just thought of something else...

There was one other time that my lo was gagging herself. That was when she was having a really bad reaction to dairy.

Have you noticed anything that would make you suspect an allergy?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

We don't know of any allergies. Maybe he is teething. I had not thought of that. Thank you so much.

My daughter does this all of the time. I have no idea why. It does seem to sync with teething. I also think she's just playing with her hands, but doesn't connect the dots that if she puts her hand too far back she will gag. So far, she hasn't barfed. I honestly don't worry about it.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

ok, that makes me feel better

They will also do things like this if it gets a reaction out if you. Definitely try to ignore it as best you can. When DS was about 18 months he started gagging himself to the point he would vomit. Initially I kept trying to stop him and it only made it worse. Once he no longer could get a reaction out of me, it stopped.