Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Odd feeding behaviour??

Default Odd feeding behaviour??

Ds is 4.5 mths and for the past 2 weeks has been feeding very oddly, and being very fussy (but happy).

We have never had the best BF relationship, with silent reflux and latch issues but I perservered and we had finally got over the hump.

He will start feeding and be fine for 2 or 3 minutes and then just start pull on and off like he is bobbing for apples, but is happy when he does this and isn’t in pain. This will continue until he just starts grinning and giggling at me like it is a big game.

He will also stop feeding and start sucking on his thumb in the middle of a feed, or even better try doing both at once!! Apart from him being a dribbler there are no other signs of him teething so don’t think it is that.

I have tried stopping him and winding him when he does this but it doesn’t really make much different. He just had an increase in reflux meds, and given how happy he is doubt it is reflux related.

He even dose this on his night feed and his 1st AM feed when he should be starving, but seems to feed less at these feeds than any other time.

Not anything to do with nipple confusion as he refuses the bottle so nothing to confuse it all with.

I also thought maybe he was just getting a bit too distracted but I have tried feeding him his room with the lights down and the curtains drawn and it also made no difference.

I know he is getting enough as he is still happily going 4hrly between feeds, is down to only 1 night feed about 3.30am, and has good growth and output, but this bobbing on and off is dragging out feeds and cause me a bit of nipple pain again, which took so long to heal and get over in the beginning.

I just cringe at the thought of going back down the track of having sore nipples again so need to get this sorted out. Any suggestions??

Default Re: Odd feeding behaviour??

Do you have a fast letdown? Sometimes they learn to regulate a fast letdown by popping off and letting it cool down. Or, he could just be finding his personality and playing games. If he's fine and not in any pain, I probably would ignore it.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Wait until you have other kids running around that have to be looked at while nursing. My LO will also stop and smile at me; he has finally started letting go before he turns his head. He also likes to kick his legs when he nurses so I have to make sure that he has enough room or he tugs at the nipple. If he does it only at the beginning of a feed I would suspect OALD.

My LO would sometimes let go and let the milk spray over his face.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Thanks for your replies,

It has been a rough week or so, but I have come tot he conclusion that he is basically just a nosey parker and is more interested in what is going on instead of feeding.

I have been trying to feed him in a dark boring room but it isn't helping much, and I have a toddler to look after aswell so it is tricky. So I am basically just having to keep offering it to him through his awake time and hope for the best.

Since I have been topping him up etc he has been a lot more settle and napping better, but I feel like he is constantly feeding.

Is this a phase and how long does it last for??

Is there anyting I can do to make him concerntrate on feeding more??

Some women find nursing necklaces to be helpful.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn