Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My diet and gassy baby?

Default My diet and gassy baby?

My son has been having a lot of gas lately (really smelly!) and my mom keeps telling me to watch what I am eating. I don't know what it could be though, I haven't been eating anything different than I usually do. How much does what mom eat affect a nursing baby? Anything in particular that anyone has noticed to be a big gas causing food? He seems so uncomfortable so I want to cut out things if I need to in my diet. I also wonder if it's because he goes so long between bowel movements- usually 6-7 days. Would that cause extra gas? Appreciate any advice!!

Default Re: My diet and gassy baby?

I wouldn't blame your diet. Once a baby starts spacing out his poops- something which is very normal for a breastfed infant, often occurring after the 6 weeks mark- his toots will start to smell much worse. My first daughter could clear the room!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Totally normal. Some gassiness is normal too - you have to remember that babies are brand new to the whole digestion thing - they're trying to figure it all out. So passing gas may be totally normal, but nevertheless, feel a little uncomfortable for them, but this will improve naturally as they get older. I think the idea that certain foods cause a breastfeeding baby more gas is mostly an old wives' tale. Have you tried massaging your baby's abdomen? Dr. Sears recommends this for helping the gas to pass and relieve discomfort. Bouncing and babywearing may also help to get things "moving" so to speak.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    . I think the idea that certain foods cause a breastfeeding baby more gas is mostly an old wives' tale.
    I think a generation or two ago, moms were told to cut all sorts of things from their diet when breastfeeding. No gassy foods, no spicy foods, no flavorful foods... It's no wonder our culture gave up on breastfeeding!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have to say that I've noticed a connection between what I eat and my baby's gas. If I eat a lot of onions (raw or cooked), or corn kernels (including popcorn), she gets VERY gassy. It's happened several times so I don't think it's a coincidence... Other foods that seem to trigger gas are beans, broccoli and cabbage.

My LO has a very sensitive digestive system, so maybe that's why it makes a difference in our case. (Her poops become super-mucousy and watery if I eat soy, nuts, wheat and dairy). Before I went off dairy, she passed such loud gas that we could hardly believe it was coming from such a little being.

When I began BF, all the books told me there was no connection between my diet and my baby's gas or digestion. So in the beginning I ate freely. But her digestion was so troubled that I was willing to try and change my diet even though I was skeptical. And in our case it seems to have helped.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Thanks everyone! Good to hear it probably isn't my diet! I couldn't think of any foods to connect it to. I like the idea of babywearing to help relieve the gas. I noticed the other day that he was really fussy and gassy and I was carrying him around with my arm around his tummy and he seemed to calm down. I think the pressure felt good!