Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help!!

Unhappy Please help!!

I am working full time, a social work at the local Dept of Family and Children. So we are very busy and it's hard to work in pumping,

I am able to pump twice at work around 10 and around 3.

This is my question. I am reading posts where people are pumping 12 oz a day. Is this just at work...or total including after work. Because I haven't pumped at home and have been getting only 8 ozs...4 ozs per sitting. Do I need to pump at home to, to increase my supply. I'm so frustrated becasue Im sending 4 bottles to daycare 2 have had to be formula because my child wakes up the second I try to pump at home. I'm so frustrated (as I'm sure you can tell). Any advice would be very helpful because I do not want to keep giving him formula. I have been back to work since mid August and he is going on 4 months old. Also, I bf my older son for 11 months, but he stayed with a family member and I was able to bf at lunch..I haven't been able to do that this time.

Default Re: Please help!!

for me I pumped on your same schedule except I also pumped while eating a lunch so three sessions total and I usually got somewhere between 10-14oz each day I also pumped one extra time about 1-2 hours after my son wen to sleep at night but he slept through from an early age, so I would nurse him to sleep then clean up and pack for the following day, and finally shower before pumping and turning in myself, at first that session yielded almost nothing but in a few weeks i got a few oz at that session as *bonus* or backup for when i got AF and my supply dipped.

I found that my work hours were hard and very demanding but in the end i went in a little early and left a little late so I could fit in three sessions every day, another tip is to not clean everything every session, leave the pump parts on the bottles and just stick everything in a bag in the fridge until after your last session, oh and if you use a laptop you can work while you pump too s and
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I forgot to add and
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

what type of pump are you using?
    are you able to "double pump" (both sides at the same time)?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I have two pumps, the one I have at work is a double and the one I have at home is only a single and a medela. I can't think of hte brand for hte one I have at work. But Im starting to think that the pump I have at work is not strong enough compared to my medela at home.

Thank you so much for you help.

: thank you!!

Your baby should be taking in about 1-1.5 ounces per hour while you're gone, so that's also your target number for pumping. So for me, when I was gone for 10 hours, yes, I aimed for 12-15 ounces. If you're not gone that long, you don't need as much. By the same token, if your baby is taking in 24 ounces while you're gone, she's probably being overfed.

A lot of women have to add an additional session somewhere, either at home or at work. You can pump in the car on the way to work, or late at night after your baby goes to sleep, but before you do. Or over lunch hour. Just anytime when you can steal 10-20 minutes away. Even a short commute can yield a few ounces (mornings are a great supply time for most women, afternoons not so much). You may have to be a little creative to figure out what will work with your job.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I agree with pp. Check to see what baby is being fed, possibly overfed. I would also recomend adding one more session per day, either at lunch or while driving to work or both.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Try pumping while driving.

Are you doing compressions while you pump? And if your pump at work isn't a good one, you won't be able to keep up.

You can also try some herbs and/or oatmeal to help boost production.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hello there!

I also pump at work...and depending on the day, I pump 2 - 4 times a day. I also do my best to pump either right before I leave for work (which is typically when I get the most milk from one session all day) or as soon as I get to work. Depending on the day, week etc. (if AF is here or not) I pump perhaps about 12 - 15 ounces?

I know how frustrating it can be ...I work at a non profit organization that assist the church community to meet needs such as food, clothing, etc. The other day I was so frustrated and emotional, I called my boss and said "...If I can't pump enough milk to feed my daughter then I will quit!..."

needless to say, I have a great boss, work for a great organization and have amazing staff/volunteers surrounding me and my emotional self! oh, and I'm still working

it'll all work out!
    married since 2007 to the man of my dreams!

had a water birth at home to my darling little girl born 2-18-11

working full time &

Cloth diapering