Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussing at the breast

Default Fussing at the breast

I've posted on here recently about latching and supply issues, but we are luckily doing better in that area. Craniosacral therapy is working wonders and my pain is slowly going away and my DS is latching better and becoming much more efficient at transfering milk and emptying the breast. I'm still working with an LC on getting my full supply back, so we are at about 80% BM and 20% formula (Similac organic).

However, in the last 2 days, my DS has become very fussy at the breast. He will latch and unlatch, cry, grunt, pull my nipple with his mouth, grab at me with his hands, etc. Sometimes he cries at my initial letdown, but I don't think it's OALD since when he pulls off there's no spraying or anything. He does it more at night, which I figured is normal since it's his usual "fussy" time, and supply is naturally lower at night so he has to work more. He did it today though in the early afternoon, when I know my supply is good. He will also doze off in my arms and then wake up a few minutes later, mouth open, looking for the breast. (He did this before when he was unable to latch correctly so he would tire himself out, but now he latches much better) This can go on for an hour at a time, then he's ready to eat an hour later.

He has also been extra gassy, and hasn't had a bowel movement since Saturday. He seems to only go once every 3-4 days,which I'm not sure is ok or not, since he gets a mix of formula and BM so I can't go by the norms for either formula fed or EBF babies.

He will be 7 weeks on Thursday, so I don't know if maybe it has something to do with a growth spurt? Any insight would be appreciated!

Default Re: Fussing at the breast

Mine is 9 weeks and when he acts like that, he either has a big burp bugging him or painful gas or bowel movements. It's so frustrating right? Not knowing what to do to make it better for him.
    When it happens, I try to burp him, or bicycle his legs to help him out with gas, sometimes you just have to wait.
    Weirdly, he may be just super tired and takes a quick nap to wake up all ready to feed.
    I must say, it happened a lot more at 6-8 weeks but now that I think about it, it's much better these days. Just hang in there!

As for bowel movements, my doctor told me that some babies can go 10 days without a poop and it's still ok, so don't worry too much!

I was going to post a question similar to this! Mine is doing the fussing thing and pulling off a lot as well, he's older- 3 1/2 months. I am pretty sure it's gas, but I will watch to see what responses you get. My son goes about 6-7 days between bowel movements and I am told that is normal, but I wonder if he has worse gas because of it?

I've been having this issue as well. My son is about 5.5 weeks now and this week he's started fussing at the breast about ten minutes into a feeding. I feed him on one side per feeding since he was so gassy and fussy and hungry all the time in his first three weeks or so that I was concerned he wasn't getting enough hind milk. But now ten minutes into feeding he suddenly gets squirmy, fussy, red faced, and starts crying with the nipple in his mouth. I don't THINK it's OALD, because if it was wouldn't he start out fussy? I DO notice that he likes to let his latch slip down to be more shallow, resulting in him painfully sucking on just my nipple. If I burp him sometimes he's got one and most of the time he doesn't.

His poops look fine, his diaper output is good, and his weight gain is great. But nearly every feeding session ten minutes in is now this wrestling match that's hard to deal with. Is it OALD? I don't typically leak and have never once seen any spraying.
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

My ds is 1 1/2 weeks and does this as well. I wish I had some suggestions, but I will definitely be watching this thread for some answers. Good luck, and hope it passes soon.

OALD usually is a problem at the beginning of a nursing, not so much the middle...except if you get a second fast letdown when/if you get another letdown. But babies can also be frustrated when they are used to an abundant supply and a fast letdown and that starts to disappear, either because they drank the milk, or your supply is evening out, and then they fuss and get grumpy about being actually asked to work for their food They can also have a big gas bubble from dealing with the faster letdown at the beginning and then need to burp. Burp and switch sides, over and over. It's good for your supply, and baby will fill up eventually.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I am in the same boat :-( My six week old DD has started screaming about 5 minutes in to feeding. I don't think it is OALD as I rarely leak and have never sprayed. I have followed all of the recommendations (block feeding, stopping pumping to regulate supply to only what baby needs, pumping an ounce prior to feeding) and nothing seems to do the trick. She has done this now for about two weeks, and it has created such anxiety in me the my confidence in my ability to BF her is fading. I can't get her to relatch once she has started one of her screaming fits. She also will no longer take a bottle of pumped milk, or formula which we tried to feed her in a last ditch effort as it seemed as though she hadn't hardly eaten all day. Our ped. was concerned she had reflux, and was treating her for that, but the meds do not seem to make any difference in her screaming fits... Please help.

I am trying to figure out similar issues. My 7-week old will often start squirming and kicking after feeding for several minutes. He will clamp down and sometimes pull away without letting go, which hurts me. He will also let go and then act terribly frustrated trying to "find" the breast again. I know that my milk starts to flow quickly and seems forceful because it does when I pump as well, but I have never seen spraying when he lets go. He will have milk running down his face while feeding. He usually eats every 3-4 hours during the day. He has a lot of spitup/vomit during burping and after feeding, and seems uncomfortable before spitting up. He often fusses and cries a little after feeding. The doctor says probably has reflux, but we just started the meds. I am just looking for other opinions, as the doctor also said it was colic a few weeks ago and the symptoms don't seem to fit as he has only had the "colickly" crying episodes a few times. I have seen posts about not pumping to decrease amount and flow, but I really don't want to do this, because I am working and have to supply milk to last for 10-12 hour workdays.