Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can't get letdown

Default Can't get letdown

I'm at work and just sat with my pump for 30 minutes and could not for the life of me get my let down to happen! A minute in to the pumping session my pump (Ameda Purely Yours) fell from the sink on to the hard floor. It still sucked but sounded a little different.

Could that be why I couldn't get letdown? It was right there but the milk just wouldn't start flowing

Now I'm stressing b/c I only pump enough for my little girl for the next day. What do I do?!?! I'm going to try again in 30 minutes or so...

Default Re: Can't get letdown

sorry to hear you're stressing. I have the same thing happen sometimes (like someone knocking on my office door about 2 mins after I start) and can't get a letdown, I think I just get too tense sometimes. I'll stop and try again later and usually I make up for the missed time. For me, it helps to get up & walk around, clear my mind and remind myself that I can do this and try to relax.
    DS 3/1/10, DD 6/26/11, DS 10/5/13
    Working & pumping mom with 3 kiddos three and under

Try again after adjusting all connections to your pump. The fall may have knocked something loose We all have these days.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

ok...so, up until today I had been pumping in an extra office here in my office. Well..we got a new attorney working with us so I had to move my pump room. I decided to try the bathroom. That's where I was this morning. After another failed pumping attempt, I decided to try the copy room. I didn't know this but it has a lock on the door and it's warmer....so, after a few minutes of pumping in there my glorious let down happened and the milk floweth over whew......I have never been more relieved in my nursing career!!! Molly will eat tomorrow!!!

Thanks ladies

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Congratulations!

Warmth was always really important for me when I pumped. During the cold of winter, I often heated up a rice sock for my neck or back before I pumped, and I also used it on my breasts, too, at times. (I was pumping at home, though.) Drinking something hot can help, too, if you feel tense when you're cold.

Glad you came up with a solution for today.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)