Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best exercise when BF?

Default Re: Best exercise when BF?

I am not an avid exerciser but do get out on walks most days with my little ones. We often walk to nearby parks, they play, and then we walk home. I'm almost always pushing one, if not both, in a stroller on those walks because of the distance.

I read this thread yesterday and didn't think I had anything to contribute until I was out enjoying a wonderful bike ride today.

I use a front-mounted seat for my young toddler (we started both kids in it after they were a year old). Now that I have a pre-schooler who can bike independently but not for long distances, I use a tag-along (trail-a-bike) on the back of my bike. Both kids love our rides. I don't go out of our neighborhood because I'm not interested in being near much traffic, so my rides aren't super-long, but they are certainly giving me exercise as I pedal 70 pounds of kids and 60 pounds of bikes and myself up some good hills.

I was an avid biker in my youth so felt very comfortable on a bike before adding the contraptions. The front-mounted seat caused me no problems with stability (I just had to lower my own seat a bit to make sure I could easily put my feet on the ground when I needed to). The tandem attachment with a big girl on it makes me more wobbly (especially when she wobbles on purpose), but we've been fine so far. It's been a great form of exercise and entertainment, and it's also nice on the occasions when my husband takes the kids out on a pretty Saturday afternoon and leaves me home by myself.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

I was a swimmer/runner/triathlete before baby and enjoyed a very trim frame. After baby everything is once again trim . . . except my breasts (went from B to DD). I started running 4 weeks after delivery and am still, 8 months later, struggling to keep my chest in place. Any max support sports bra suggestions from other runners?

To the OP, I also swam regularly all summer and had no problems, unless you consider my complete lack of swimming fitness a problem, ha! If, like me, your frame has changed you might need to consider a different suit size, to avoid a large chest pulling the straps hard onto your shoulders and leading to shoulder and neck tightness or tingly fingers from a pinched nerve. This could be especially troublesome if you wear the polyester endurance/training suit, since these don't have much stretch compared to Lycra.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sassypants View Post
    If, like me, your frame has changed you might need to consider a different suit size, to avoid a large chest pulling the straps hard onto your shoulders and leading to shoulder and neck tightness or tingly fingers from a pinched nerve.
    Yes, my frame did change!!!!! I was surprised when I tried on my old swimsuits, because I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight and they used to be a little loose on me. But now they are so tight around the chest. I can't possibly keep them on for longer than a few seconds. So... I'll have to look for a different one. I used to love two-piece suits but I'm sure the tops will be too small.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

I started walking everyday when baby was about 2 weeks with baby in a jogging stroller. At 3.5 months, I started my running plan again- 3xweek- baby still comes in jogging stroller (she faces me, so I'm able to tell if she's ready to end the run or not.) Two days a week, I do resistance bands at home. I love them! I really loved lifting before baby, but now there's just not a way to get to the gym (I'm not interested in leaving her in a gym daycare.), so resistance bands are the best thing. She just plays at my feet and watches me.
    Mother to Quenby Anne, born 29 March 2011, 5 lbs. 9 oz, but doubled birth weight in 9 weeks!

Interested in maternal attachment and research about infant development? Check out my blog! www.asecurebase.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duaeguttae View Post
    I am not an avid exerciser but do get out on walks most days with my little ones. We often walk to nearby parks, they play, and then we walk home. I'm almost always pushing one, if not both, in a stroller on those walks because of the distance.

I read this thread yesterday and didn't think I had anything to contribute until I was out enjoying a wonderful bike ride today.

I use a front-mounted seat for my young toddler (we started both kids in it after they were a year old). Now that I have a pre-schooler who can bike independently but not for long distances, I use a tag-along (trail-a-bike) on the back of my bike. Both kids love our rides. I don't go out of our neighborhood because I'm not interested in being near much traffic, so my rides aren't super-long, but they are certainly giving me exercise as I pedal 70 pounds of kids and 60 pounds of bikes and myself up some good hills.

I was an avid biker in my youth so felt very comfortable on a bike before adding the contraptions. The front-mounted seat caused me no problems with stability (I just had to lower my own seat a bit to make sure I could easily put my feet on the ground when I needed to). The tandem attachment with a big girl on it makes me more wobbly (especially when she wobbles on purpose), but we've been fine so far. It's been a great form of exercise and entertainment, and it's also nice on the occasions when my husband takes the kids out on a pretty Saturday afternoon and leaves me home by myself.
    do you have a pic of the front mounted seat?
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*llamalou View Post
    I started walking everyday when baby was about 2 weeks with baby in a jogging stroller. At 3.5 months, I started my running plan again- 3xweek- baby still comes in jogging stroller (she faces me, so I'm able to tell if she's ready to end the run or not.) Two days a week, I do resistance bands at home. I love them! I really loved lifting before baby, but now there's just not a way to get to the gym (I'm not interested in leaving her in a gym daycare.), so resistance bands are the best thing. She just plays at my feet and watches me.
    i need to add back in my strength training!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    do you have a pic of the front mounted seat?
    Sorry, now that the school year is in full swing and I'm doing some regular tutoring, my computer time is being spent in other ways, and I didn't see this question till tonight.

I do have a picture (I have to send such things to Grandma), but I've not yet learned to post such things on these forums. (I don't do facebook or have a blog.) I can tell you that the name of the seat is the iBert Safe-T seat (really goofy). There are lots of pictures and reviews on Amazon. It's not for everybody, but we have loved it. The bike attachment that we use for the older child is an Adams Trail-a-bike.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

thanks! .... i dont do facebook or blog either, but i did figure out how to link to websites. pics still confuse me

I started running at 4 weeks postpartum. I have an enell sports bra and that thing has saved my life. I actually weigh less now than I did in high school (5lbs less, but still happy about it). My daughter loves riding along in the jogging stroller, we did 10 miles the other day and it took an hour and forty five minutes and she was thrilled and babbling the whole time.

I need to lose some tummy flab. But haven't found any time between working full time, pumping and breatfeeding. Any suggestions on what excercises I can do to get my stomach muscles toned?
    Mom to a curious little one.
    Made it to 1 year!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rosely View Post
    I need to lose some tummy flab. But haven't found any time between working full time, pumping and breatfeeding. Any suggestions on what excercises I can do to get my stomach muscles toned?
    i run and do basic strength training, you really want to work your whole body rather than "target" an area. if you run, you lose fat, strength train build muscle. if ever i have an area i want to work more than others, i just work that area a bit harder on the days i am focusing on that. for example, my legs are my trouble spot right now so on days i do lower body exercises i work out a few minutes longer or really try to push myself and exhaust those muscles.

i read once that the best way to see work your abs is to do cardio i think that when i am running and wondering if it is helping