Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best exercise when BF?

Default Best exercise when BF?

Dear all,

Any suggestions on the best kinds of exercise while breastfeeding? I used to swim and do yoga and Pilates before pregnancy. Now I'm wondering... some yoga poses seem downright uncomfortable with my milk-filled breasts. And I'm not sure about swimming either. I heard that repetitive arm exercise can cause plugged ducts? And would the chlorine dry out the nipples?

So, I'd love to know what you do and the pros and cons.

PS. I want to exercise because I'm feeling very low in energy, weak muscles, and lots of aches and pains (especially back pain)... I'm not looking to lose weight.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Default Re: Best exercise when BF?

I used to swim and it was fine. Walking is always good.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I swim and have not had any problems.

IMHO swimming is great while BF'ing. It sure beats any kind of exercise that requires a restrictive sports bra. If you are prone to dry skin, use a good moisturizer and plenty of lanolin.

The only exercising I'm able to do are things that involve DD. Walking, because she can come with me, and using the Wii Fit because she loves watching the colorful characters on the screen . But walking has always been my go-to exercise anyway, and I always feel much more energized afterward.

to anyone who can manage to get in any more strenuous exercise with a baby to tend to.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Glad to hear the positive reports on swimming! I really miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizziesmom View Post
    to anyone who can manage to get in any more strenuous exercise with a baby to tend to.
    Now that was going to be my next question... how will I find the time and energy to get to a swimming pool???
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

i use a jogging stroller and run with my lo. he is 6 months old now so its ok, i think he was too little before. i love running because i can do it anywhere.

i was given a used stroller from someone, they can be expensive though. i would rate mine as pretty good, not great, but it is smooth and gets the job done. i feel good about getting out there on a regular basis now, running is my go to for staying fit. i missed it.

I am running 3x a week. Baby is only 3.5 months, so he can't go with me just yet, but I intend to have him in the stroller when he's 6 months and the weather is suitable.

To fit it into my schedule, I just wait until hubby is home to watch him or sit here while he takes a nap - or I go after he falls asleep (the baby, not the husband!)

It's not easy to find the time - I just have to MAKE the time. Just ran my first 5k since before baby. Looking to do another soon! (And, I am by NO means fast or athletic - just moving to get myself in shape!)
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

I've been shredding and love it. I wasn't as much worried about losing weight, I really needed to tone. And the progress has been great. I've never worked out before and I've toned up so quickly. It's not a bad workout because it's only 20 minutes and changes moves every 30 seconds so it doesn't get boring. Because it's a video I do it whenever I can and don't need relief from my husband. I do it either at nap time or put my son, who is a year old, in the pack and play. I highly recommend it.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I run. I got back into running when my baby was 12 days old and although it took me awhile to build back up, I did run my 9th marathon when she was 9 mos old (9th for my life, 1st post partum). Anyway, if it's an exercise you enjoy and have a good bra, I don't know why you couldn't do it. I ran before I was pregnant, walk-ran most of the pregnancy and then ran afterwards....but that's what I love to do and if you don't like it then do what you do like. :-)
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.